Home » Ford, T.F.

Category Archives: Ford, T.F.

Architects & Places

Make the Pictures Bigger

Click on any picture to enlarge it.
Use the browser back button to return to the post.

St Crispin (Former), Southwark Park Road, Bermondsey now a day nursery

Replacing a war-damaged church this church was built in 1958-59 by Thomas F Ford but made redundant in 1999 and is now used as a nursery.

Christ Church, Old Kent Road, Camberwell

The east end faces the road. The church dates from 1867-68 and is by the “Rogue” architect Enoch Bassett Keeling. The spire has been lost, replaced by a simple tower top. War damage was repaired by Thomas F. Ford.

St Peter, Liverpool Grove, Walworth

At the end of a short street off Walworth Road and sitting in a large churchyard. The church was designed by Sir John Soane in 1823-25. Ewan Christian made changes at the east end in 1888 and there were repairs after WW2 damage by Thomas F. Ford in 1953 (65 people sheltering in crypt were killed in a 1940 air raid.

 

Holy Trinity, Rotherhithe Street, Rotherhithe

At the eastern end of Rotherhithe near the City Farm. It is a replacement for a war-damaged early 19th-century building. It dates from 1960 and is by Thomas F. Ford. The east end features a mural of the risen Christ by Hans Feibusch.  My visit in mid-November coincided with remedial work on some of the concrete pillars so part of the church was screened off, the organ encased and the Lady Chapel used as a furniture store, another visit will be needed to show the building in its true state.

St George, Borough High Street, Southwark

This church, prominently sited at a road junction but overshadowed by The Shard, is by John Price and dates from 1734-36, when it replaced a medieval building. The huge ceiling decoration is by Basil Champneys and dates from 1897. It was restored by T.F. Ford after WW2 damage.

    
             

Christ Church, Battersea Park Road, Battersea

At the western end of the road. The church is by T.F. Ford and dates from 1959 replacing a war damaged 19th century church.

    battersea_christ_church170117_2  battersea_christ_church170117_5
 battersea_christ_church170117_7  battersea_christ_church170117_
 battersea_christ_church170117_6

St Michael and All Angels, Bishop Ken Road, Harrow Weald

A church of 1958 by T.F. Ford was added to the original church of 1935 that then became a hall.

   harrow_weald_st_michael280116_3  harrow_weald_st_michael280116_1
 harrow_weald_st_michael280116_4  harrow_weald_st_michael280116_5
 harrow_weald_st_michael280116_6  harrow_weald_st_michael280116_8
 harrow_weald_st_michael280116_