Home » Allen, Godfrey
Category Archives: Allen, Godfrey
Thanks to its “wedding cake” steeple one of the best known churches in the City. A Christopher Wren design,It dates from 1691-98, with the steeple added 1701-03. It was burnt out in 1941 and restored 1955-57 by Godfrey Allen. The crypt is also the home of an interesting museum about the city and the earlier history of the church.
Sir Christopher Wren’s masterpiece and one of London’s symbols. Built after the Great fire had destroyed the much restored medieval cathedral. construction began in 1675 and was completed by 1711. In WW2 there was restoration by Godfrey Allen after bombing of the choir and north transept. There are many, mainly military, monuments from 1790 onwards in the nave (the Wellington monument is shown below) and transepts and many more to a wider variety of people in the crypt. Although Nelson and Wellington are interred there. The inside of the dome was painted by Sir James Thornhill between 1716-1720. At the crossing and east end mosaics dating from 1864 to 1904 were added to the ceilings, designed by William Blake Richmond and the spandrels by G.F, Watts and Alfred Stevens. The baldacchino over the altar dates from the post war restoration. The choir stalls and organ case were carved by Grinling Gibbons.