Home » Blount, Gilbert
Category Archives: Blount, Gilbert
Hidden away down a driveway in a back street near the railway line. It dates from 1852 and is by Gilbert Blount. The church hides Mortlake Roman Catholic Cemetery where architects J.F. Bentley, Leonard Stokes and Henry Clutton are buried. It also features the stone tent memorial to explorer Sir Richard Burton.
A vast church, the foundations were designed by Gilbert Blount but the body of the church was designed by Charles Alban Buckler 1874-83. The outer aisles are separately gabled and each is a side chapel representing one of the mysteries of the Rosary, just a selection of the glass, altar and decoration are shown.