At the southern edge of the old village of Chislehurst and unusually for a Roman catholic church it sits in a burial ground. The architect was William Wardell and the church dates from 1854. The mortuary chapel on the south side was added by Henry Clutton in 1874 to house the body of Napoleon III, however he was interred in the crypt at Farnborough Abbey in Hampshire.
1859-60 by Henry Clutton as a complex of church, schools and presbytery for the oblates of St Charles.. J.F. Bentley, in his first work, added the angled Lady Chapel, baptistery and porch in 1861-63
The church was started in 1851-52 (Thomas Meyer) and completed in 1857 by Henry Clutton. J.F. Bentley made many additions (chapels and outer aisles) between 1864 to 1887.
Two churches in one churchyard. The older church was rebuilt 1632 and is now a roofless shell, the new one is by Henry Clutton (of Surrey) 1849.
A large Roman Catholic church in Mayfair, it is the Jesuit’s English headquarters. It was built by J.J. Scoles 1844-49. Outer aisles were added in 1876-78 by Henry Clutton and 1898-1903 W.H. Romaine-Walker.