Home » Comper, Sebastian
Category Archives: Comper, Sebastian
Several churches in the London suburbs had to be adapted from small medieval buildings to one that could cope with a much larger suburban population. In this case the south aisle was demolished and much larger aisles, nave and chancel were added at right angles in 1958 and designed by Sebastian Comper. The old church is now an entrance area with the chancel used as a chapel and the north aisle as a vestry. The new church interiors are in the last 6 rows.
Close to Raynes Park station. It is a church of 1958 by Sebastian Comper, replacing one of Ernest Shearman’s, a1909 church that had suffered war damage. It retains that church’s foundation stone, a figure of Christ, and the Lady Chapel reredos.
Alongside the Grand Union Canal this is one of George Edmund Street’s masterpieces dating from 1868-1878. It is fitted onto an awkwardly shaped site, defined by now demolished streets. Most of the glass was designed by Henry Holliday and made by Heaton, Butler and Bayne. The south aisle of the crypt (the bottom 10 pictures) was made into the chapel of St Sepulchre by Ninian Comper in 1895, it was renovated by Sebastian Comper in 1967 but is again in need of restoration.