Home » Hardwick, Philip C.

Category Archives: Hardwick, Philip C.

Architects & Places

Make the Pictures Bigger

Click on any picture to enlarge it.
Use the browser back button to return to the post.

St John, St Johns Vale, Deptford

A large church by P.C. Hardwick on the borders of Lewisham and Deptford high above St John’s Station. It dates from 1855.

St Elizabeth of Portugal, The Vineyard, Richmond (Roman Catholic)

Behind the town centre, a church of 1822-24, attributed to Philip Hardwick to which F.A. Walters added a chancel, tower and presbytery in 1903.

richmond_st_elizabeth_rc201016_16 richmond_st_elizabeth_rc201016_
 richmond_st_elizabeth_rc201016_1  richmond_st_elizabeth_rc201016_2
 richmond_st_elizabeth_rc201016_7  richmond_st_elizabeth_rc201016_3
 richmond_st_elizabeth_rc201016_15  richmond_st_elizabeth_rc201016_14
 richmond_st_elizabeth_rc201016_11  richmond_st_elizabeth_rc201016_13
 richmond_st_elizabeth_rc201016_12  richmond_st_elizabeth_rc201016_10
 richmond_st_elizabeth_rc201016_8  richmond_st_elizabeth_rc201016_9
 richmond_st_elizabeth_rc201016_5  richmond_st_elizabeth_rc201016_6

St Mary, Albert Embankment, Lambeth (former), now The Museum of Garden History

Made redundant in 1972 and turned into the Museum of Garden History in 1979. the church is of the 1370s, but the body of the church was heavily rebuilt in 1851-52 by P.C. Hardwick

 ??????????????????????????????? lambeth_st_mary131114_15
 lambeth_st_mary131114_3 lambeth_st_mary131114_14
 lambeth_st_mary131114_12  lambeth_st_mary131114_9
 ???????????????????????????????  ???????????????????????????????

St Mark, Surbiton

A distinctive landmark up the hill from the station. The church was built in 1845, rebuilt in 1855 by P.C. Hardwick but apart from the tower and spire destroyed in WW2. It was rebuilt in a very conservative style by Milner and Craze in 1960. It was restored with community use in mind 2010-2012 by Paul Edey of IID Architects.

            surbiton_st_mark200214_23  surbiton_st_mark200214_19
 surbiton_st_mark200214_  surbiton_st_mark200214_15
 surbiton_st_mark200214_18  surbiton_st_mark200214_10
 surbiton_st_mark200214_3  surbiton_st_mark200214_14
 surbiton_st_mark200214_8  surbiton_st_mark200214_16

All Saints, Haggerston Road, Haggerston

Facing green space a church of 1855-56 by P.C. Hardwick, with the aisle rebuilt and extended by T.E. Knightley.

   haggerston_all_saints211113_10 haggerston_all_saints211113_5
 haggerston_all_saints211113_3  haggerston_all_saints211113_1

St Anne, Limehouse

One of Nicholas Hawksmoor’s major east end churches. It was built between 1714 and 1725. Gutted by fire in 1850 it was restored by  Philip Hardwick and John Morris in 1850-51, Philip .C. Hardwick  (son of the earlier Hardwick) 1856-57. In 1891 Arthur Blomfield undertook a remodelling of the chancel. In 1983-93 it was restored under Julian Harrap

   limehouse_st_anne200914_37  limehouse_st_anne190412_5
 limehouse_st_anne200914_30  limehouse_st_anne190412_3
 limehouse_st_anne190412_1  limehouse_st_anne190412_
 limehouse_st_anne200914_1  limehouse_st_anne200914_6
 limehouse_st_anne200914_4  limehouse_st_anne200914_27
 limehouse_st_anne200914_26  limehouse_st_anne200914_25
 limehouse_st_anne200914_19  limehouse_st_anne200914_24
 limehouse_st_anne200914_13  limehouse_st_anne200914_17