Home » London Borough of Hammersmith
Category Archives: London Borough of Hammersmith
There were two buildings on this site. The church by J.E.K. and J.P. Cutts dated from 1899 but was destroyed by WW2 bombing in October 1940. It had superseded a mission church of 1891-1892 which had been retained as a hall and which became the church. It closed in 1997 and was made redundant and is now a day nursery. The church site is now occupied by housing
On the edge of Wendell Park at the western end of Shepherds Bush. The nave dates from 1888-89 by C.N. Tudor with the chancel added in 1894. A 1970 reordering by Norman Haines has meant that the western half of the nave is divided off as a nursery school and community centre, the sanctuary at the west end of the rump nave and the office in the sanctuary area which has gained an organ gallery.
At the north end of Putney Bridge facing across to Putney Parish Church, this is the old parish church of Fulham on the edge of Bishop’s Park. The tower dates from 1440 but the rest was rebuilt in 1880-81 by Arthur Blomfield. Inside there is a large collection of monuments from before the rebuilding and much, mainly Heaton, Butler and Bayne, glass. Some medieval pieces remain together with an older Wailes window and a later one by Margaret H.E. Rope.