Home » Richmond

Category Archives: Richmond

Architects & Places

Make the Pictures Bigger

Click on any picture to enlarge it.
Use the browser back button to return to the post.

St Mathias, Friar Stile Road, Richmond

High up towards Richmond Hill. This is a commanding church by George Gilbert Scott, it dates from 1857-58 with the spire completed in 1861-62. All saints chapel was added in 1915 by Cecil Hare. The interior does not match the external experience as all but 2 of the nave bays were divided off for office and hall space in 1975-78.

richmond_st_mathias021116_48  richmond_st_mathias021116_45
 richmond_st_mathias021116_42  richmond_st_mathias021116_43
 richmond_st_mathias021116_  richmond_st_mathias021116_1
 richmond_st_mathias021116_25  richmond_st_mathias021116_32
 richmond_st_mathias021116_22  richmond_st_mathias021116_6
 richmond_st_mathias021116_37  richmond_st_mathias021116_36
 richmond_st_mathias021116_33  richmond_st_mathias021116_5
 richmond_st_mathias021116_3  richmond_st_mathias021116_16
 richmond_st_mathias021116_31  richmond_st_mathias021116_29
 richmond_st_mathias021116_13  richmond_st_mathias021116_12
 richmond_st_mathias021116_20

St Mary Magdalene, Paradise Road, Richmond

Hidden away behind shops in the town centre. The tower dates from around 1507 but was encased in flint and stone in 1903-04 when G.F. Bodley added a chancel and eastern chapels to a classical nave and aisles of 1750.  There are many wall monuments and much glass by Burlison and Grylls, Bodley’s favoured firm. The church is undergoing a long-term restoration.

 richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_55 richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_54
 richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_53  richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_
 richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_1  richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_17
 richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_31  richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_26
 richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_24  richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_36
 richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_51  richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_15
 richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_28  richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_5
 richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_14  richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_13
 richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_20  richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_16
 richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_9  richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_27
 richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_10  richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_21
 richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_29  richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_35
 richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_34  richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_8
 richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_30  richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_32
 richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_7  richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_50
 richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_42  richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_40
 richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_41  richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_43
 richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_47  richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_44
 richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_46  richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_45
 richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_49  richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_48
 richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_6  richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_4
 richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_39  richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_33
 richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_23  richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_37

St Elizabeth of Portugal, The Vineyard, Richmond (Roman Catholic)

Behind the town centre, a church of 1822-24, attributed to Philip Hardwick to which F.A. Walters added a chancel, tower and presbytery in 1903.

richmond_st_elizabeth_rc201016_16 richmond_st_elizabeth_rc201016_
 richmond_st_elizabeth_rc201016_1  richmond_st_elizabeth_rc201016_2
 richmond_st_elizabeth_rc201016_7  richmond_st_elizabeth_rc201016_3
 richmond_st_elizabeth_rc201016_15  richmond_st_elizabeth_rc201016_14
 richmond_st_elizabeth_rc201016_11  richmond_st_elizabeth_rc201016_13
 richmond_st_elizabeth_rc201016_12  richmond_st_elizabeth_rc201016_10
 richmond_st_elizabeth_rc201016_8  richmond_st_elizabeth_rc201016_9
 richmond_st_elizabeth_rc201016_5  richmond_st_elizabeth_rc201016_6

St John the Divine, Kew Road, Richmond

Near Richmond Station. The main body of the church is by Lewis Vulliamy and dates from 1831-36. A chancel and south chapel were added in 1904-05 by Arthur Grove. This extension contains some significant arts and crafts fittings and decoration.

 richmond_st_john201016_6  richmond_st_john201016_5
 richmond_st_john201016_4  richmond_st_john201016_1
 richmond_st_john201016_  richmond_st_john201016_2
 richmond_st_john201016_3  richmond_st_john_the_divine021116_67
 richmond_st_john_the_divine021116_61  richmond_st_john_the_divine021116_59
 richmond_st_john_the_divine021116_12  richmond_st_john_the_divine021116_42
 richmond_st_john_the_divine021116_53  richmond_st_john_the_divine021116_10
 richmond_st_john_the_divine021116_9  richmond_st_john_the_divine021116_11
 richmond_st_john_the_divine021116_44  richmond_st_john_the_divine021116_7
 richmond_st_john_the_divine021116_23  richmond_st_john_the_divine021116_18
 richmond_st_john_the_divine021116_2  richmond_st_john_the_divine021116_
 richmond_st_john_the_divine021116_1  richmond_st_john_the_divine021116_33
 richmond_st_john_the_divine021116_27  richmond_st_john_the_divine021116_32
 richmond_st_john_the_divine021116_24  richmond_st_john_the_divine021116_15
 richmond_st_john_the_divine021116_63  richmond_st_john_the_divine021116_62
 richmond_st_john_the_divine021116_51  richmond_st_john_the_divine021116_50
 richmond_st_john_the_divine021116_46  richmond_st_john_the_divine021116_48
 richmond_st_john_the_divine021116_43  richmond_st_john_the_divine021116_40

Holy Trinity, Townshend Road, Richmond

Hidden away below Sheen Road, this is a reordered church of 1870 by Raphael Brandon. The west end has been divided off as offices and meeting rooms but the ceiling is glass in the main lounge area so the upper interior can still be seen. A tower added in 1880 was demolished around 1970.

richmond_holy_trinity201016_23  richmond_holy_trinity201016_
 richmond_holy_trinity201016_21  richmond_holy_trinity201016_1
 richmond_holy_trinity201016_5  richmond_holy_trinity201016_6
 richmond_holy_trinity201016_12  richmond_holy_trinity201016_11
 richmond_holy_trinity201016_10  richmond_holy_trinity201016_19
 richmond_holy_trinity201016_18  richmond_holy_trinity201016_20
 richmond_holy_trinity201016_4  richmond_holy_trinity201016_3
 richmond_holy_trinity201016_2  richmond_holy_trinity201016_7
 richmond_holy_trinity201016_15  richmond_holy_trinity201016_17

Christ Church (former), Kew Road, Richmond

Built in 1883 by Arthur Blomfield, it closed in 1984 and was declared redundant in 1986 and converted to flats in 1989.

richmond_christ_church_former201016_4  richmond_christ_church_former201016_3
 richmond_christ_church_former201016_1  richmond_christ_church_former201016_
 richmond_christ_church_former201016_2