Home » Upper Norwood
Category Archives: Upper Norwood
This is one of John Loughborough Pearson’s major large brick-built churches and dates from 1878-87. There are inner and outer aisles, together with an apsed Lady Chapel. The south transept was meant to be the base of a large tower that has never been completed. Although there has been considerable structural work done in 2016-2017, serous subsidence means that the south side of the nave has to be propped by large wooden buttresses. It was damaged in WW2 and restored by Caroe and Partners in 1946-51. Much of the glass by Clayton and Bell was lost at that time. Some has been replaced by 1950s windows by Francis Spear. Some older glass by Kempe and Comper survives.