Home » Articles posted by zoothorn (Page 64)

Author Archives: zoothorn

Architects & Places

Make the Pictures Bigger

Click on any picture to enlarge it.
Use the browser back button to return to the post.

St Richard of Chichester, Forge Lane, Hanworth

Down a dead end road, a kink in the borough boundary keeps it in Hounslow rather than Richmond borough. It was designed by Leslie Channing and built in 1964. The worship space is connected to the hall on the left by a folding wall.

      hanworth_st_richard101116_2  hanworth_st_richard101116_
 hanworth_st_richard101116_3  hanworth_st_richard101116_6
 hanworth_st_richard101116_7  hanworth_st_richard101116_8
 hanworth_st_richard101116_5  hanworth_st_richard101116_11

St James, Park Road, Hampton Hill

In a big churchyard on a street corner. The church was designed by one Wiggington in 1864 with a north aisle of 1874, a chancel extension of 1877 and a south aisle of 1879. The west tower by Romaine-Walker dates from 1887.

hampton_hill_st_james101116_69  hampton_hill_st_james101116_68
 hampton_hill_st_james101116_65  hampton_hill_st_james101116_2
 hampton_hill_st_james101116_3  hampton_hill_st_james101116_64
 hampton_hill_st_james101116_5  hampton_hill_st_james101116_24
 hampton_hill_st_james101116_32  hampton_hill_st_james101116_27
 hampton_hill_st_james101116_28  hampton_hill_st_james101116_37
 hampton_hill_st_james101116_33  hampton_hill_st_james101116_38
 hampton_hill_st_james101116_20  hampton_hill_st_james101116_23
 hampton_hill_st_james101116_7  hampton_hill_st_james101116_8
 hampton_hill_st_james101116_52  hampton_hill_st_james101116_41
 hampton_hill_st_james101116_53  hampton_hill_st_james101116_46
 hampton_hill_st_james101116_25  hampton_hill_st_james101116_39
 hampton_hill_st_james101116_44  hampton_hill_st_james101116_60

St Peter and St Paul, Bychurch Street, Teddington

A small church of 1980 by Biscoe & Stanton replacing a church of 1869, that was on the other side of the road. The font, foundation stone and some saints figures in stained glass were brought from that church. The building is now mainly used as a community facility with occasional services and is no longer a parish church.

 

St Andrew, Church Lane, Ham

In a rural backwater just off the main part of Ham Common. It was built in 1830-31 and designed by Edward Lapidge. Raphael Brandon added a south aisle in 1860 and Bodley & Garner added the chancel in 1900-01

ham_st_andrew101116_6 ham_st_andrew101116_3
 ham_st_andrew101116_1  ham_st_andrew101116_4
                          ham_st_andrew131116_  ham_st_andrew131116_42
 ham_st_andrew131116_13  ham_st_andrew131116_2
 ham_st_andrew131116_21  ham_st_andrew131116_16
 ham_st_andrew131116_8  ham_st_andrew131116_9
 ham_st_andrew131116_14  ham_st_andrew131116_4
 ham_st_andrew131116_5  ham_st_andrew131116_1
 ham_st_andrew131116_12  ham_st_andrew131116_11
 ham_st_andrew131116_3  ham_st_andrew131116_19
 ham_st_andrew131116_20  ham_st_andrew131116_33
 ham_st_andrew131116_25  ham_st_andrew131116_28
 ham_st_andrew131116_29  ham_st_andrew131116_27
 ham_st_andrew131116_38  ham_st_andrew131116_32

St Mary with St Alban, Ferry Lane, Teddington

A complete contrast to the vast former St Alban over the road, this is essentially a village church. The south aisle is 16th century, the chancel 19th century, the nave, north aisle and tower are from 1753-54. It was closed from 1889 to 1933 before rededication as a chapel of ease, followed by elevation back to parish church in 1977 when St Alban was closed.

teddington_st_mary_st_alban021116_43  teddington_st_mary_st_alban021116_42
 teddington_st_mary_st_alban021116_  teddington_st_mary_st_alban021116_41
 teddington_st_mary_st_alban021116_1  teddington_st_mary_st_alban021116_46
 teddington_st_mary_st_alban021116_3  teddington_st_mary_st_alban021116_15
 teddington_st_mary_st_alban021116_18  teddington_st_mary_st_alban021116_29
 teddington_st_mary_st_alban021116_37  teddington_st_mary_st_alban021116_39
 teddington_st_mary_st_alban021116_5  teddington_st_mary_st_alban021116_13
 teddington_st_mary_st_alban021116_11  teddington_st_mary_st_alban021116_30
 teddington_st_mary_st_alban021116_17  teddington_st_mary_st_alban021116_16
 teddington_st_mary_st_alban021116_38  teddington_st_mary_st_alban021116_32
 teddington_st_mary_st_alban021116_7  teddington_st_mary_st_alban021116_8
 teddington_st_mary_st_alban021116_14  teddington_st_mary_st_alban021116_22

St Alban (former), Ferry Road, Teddington now Landmark Arts Centre

A huge, unfinished church built by W. Niven in 1889. It was meant to replace the old parish church over the road, but fell out of use around 1977 and was made redundant. It sat derelict and vandalised for many years but has now been restored as the Landmark Arts Centre.

       teddington_st_alban_former021116_4  teddington_st_alban_former021116_2
 teddington_st_alban_former021116_10  teddington_st_alban_former021116_1
 teddington_st_alban_former021116_3  teddington_st_alban_former021116_5
 teddington_st_alban_former021116_9  teddington_st_alban_former021116_8
 teddington_st_alban_former021116_11  teddington_st_alban_former101116_39
 teddington_st_alban_former101116_35  teddington_st_alban_former101116_4
 teddington_st_alban_former101116_10  teddington_st_alban_former101116_3
 teddington_st_alban_former101116_12  teddington_st_alban_former101116_13
 teddington_st_alban_former101116_33  teddington_st_alban_former101116_9
 teddington_st_alban_former101116_24  teddington_st_alban_former101116_32
 teddington_st_alban_former101116_29  teddington_st_alban_former101116_14
 teddington_st_alban_former101116_38  teddington_st_alban_former101116_30

St Thomas Aquinas, Ham Common, Ham

On the edge of Ham Common and built as St Andrew’s National School in 1876. It was converted to Catholic use in 1967-68 by F. G. Broadbent and Justin Hastings.

    ham_st_thomas_aquinas_rc021116_ ham_st_thomas_aquinas_rc021116_3
 ham_st_thomas_aquinas_rc021116_2  ham_st_thomas_aquinas_rc021116_1
 ham_st_thomas_aquinas_rc021116_4

St Richard, Ashburnham Road, Ham

The church was built in 1964-66 to designs by Ralph Covell. It forms a piece with a primary school, opposite the Riverside estate’s shopping parade.

ham_st_richard021116_11  ham_st_richard021116_8
 ham_st_richard021116_7  ham_st_richard021116_1
 ham_st_richard021116_9               ham_st_richard301116_17
 ham_st_richard301116_27  ham_st_richard301116_26
 ham_st_richard301116_3  ham_st_richard301116_4
 ham_st_richard301116_2  ham_st_richard301116_8
 ham_st_richard301116_10  ham_st_richard301116_28
 ham_st_richard301116_18  ham_st_richard301116_20
 ham_st_richard301116_13  ham_st_richard301116_12
 ham_st_richard301116_21  ham_st_richard301116_23

All Saints (former), Bute Avenue, Petersham

Built in 1907-08 by John Kelly, it is a huge Romanesque, very red basilica down a private road. It was never consecrated and regular services ended in the early 1960s, after that it was used only for weddings and occasional services until 1981. It was out of use by 1986 and sold for conversion to housing in 1996. I visited the interior in the early 1980s but have no pictures.

 petersham_all_saints_former021116_12  petersham_all_saints_former021116_11
 petersham_all_saints_former021116_  petersham_all_saints_former021116_1
 petersham_all_saints_former021116_2  petersham_all_saints_former021116_3
 petersham_all_saints_former021116_4  petersham_all_saints_former021116_8
 petersham_all_saints_former021116_10  petersham_all_saints_former021116_6
 petersham_all_saints_former021116_7  petersham_all_saints_former021116_9

St Peter, Petersham Lane, Petersham

Down a narrow lane, off the main road in the pretty but traffic laden village of Petersham, south of Richmond. The chancel is 12th century, the very large transepts are 18th and early 19th century. The interior retains many 18th century furnishings.