Home » Balham
Category Archives: Balham
Designed by R.J. Withers the east end, which was constructed in 1883-1884 faces the road. Work on the nave began in 1899 and was completed the following year. It was declared redundant in 1985, having been disused since early 1983. Since then it has been used as a warehouse and offices, a care home, and now an English language school called The Burlington School of English.
Built as a Congregational Church (latterly United Reformed Church), it closed in 1977 and was sold to the Roman Catholic Church and dedicated in 1978. It had opened in 1883 to designs by Searle and Hayes.
Originally a proprietary chapel built by F. Hurlbatt in 1807, he added transepts in 1824. It became a parish church in 1855, after which a chancel was added in 1882 by Arthur Cawston and the street front and baptistery in 1903 by William Newton Dunn. The west end including the baptistery is now screened off from the rest of the church.