A church of 1963 by Raglan Squire & Partners next to Beckenham Hill station.
Between two dead end roads, a large red brick suburban church of 1878-84 by A.R. Stenning and H. Hall.
At the northern end of the town centre. The church is by William Gibbs Bartleet and dates from 1885-87, the tower being finished in 1902-03. It replaced the medieval parish church. Much of the stained glass was designed by Thomas Freeth (14 windows of which I have chosen 9 as examples) and installed between 1963 and 1985. WW2 bombing meant that the majority of the 19th century glass had been destroyed. The remaining 19th century glass is by Heaton Butler and Bayne with the rose window by Hardman, the south chapel has early 1950s glazing by Geoffrey Webb.
Midway between and close to St George and St Edmund in the town centre. The church dates from 1876 and is by Blashill and Hayward. It was reconstructed after bombing by Charles Sykes.
A huge tower over the east end makes this building easy to see at the bottom of the town centre. Sainsbury’s multi story car park is built right up against it, allowing good views but not adding to the townscape. The church dates from 1937 and was designed by J. O`Hanlon Hughes.
The building was opened in 1910 as a hall/church replacing a Mission Hall of 1885. It’s parish was combined with St Michael’s and it closed in 1978. it is now converted into apartments.
Down a suburban road, this is a building of 1955-56 by W.H. Hobday and F.J. Maynard. It replaced a church of 1899-1900 badly damaged in WW2.
A short walk from Penge East station. The church was designed by E.F. Clarke and built in 1878, with the spire added in 1883. Following refurbishment in 1980 there was an arson attack in 1993 which led to a rebuilding and reopening in 1997. The sanctuary is now unroofed and used as a prayer garden, the body of the church was divided in two with the western end becoming hall space, the whole with new roofs. The aisle space towards the west is now offices and ancillary rooms. The fire exposed small areas of the original Victorian painted decoration.
Standing in a large area of green near New Beckenham station. The original nave and very short sanctuary was built in 1863-64 by Smith and Williams, but enlarged by a full chancel and north and south aisle, tower and spire by Samuel Daukes in 1869-70.