Home » Brown John
Category Archives: Brown John
The original church is by 1846-1848 by John Brown and Robert Kerr. That building lost its chancel when a new church building was added in 1989. The old church is now a Community centre with halls, offices and a cafe inserted on three floors. The new church has a gallery and a small chapel behind the gallery on the first floor of the building. A few windows and some of the ceiling are all that is visible of the old church inside.
This church replaces the ancient parish church which was sited over the road and of which the tower base survives. The rest of that church had been rebuilt in 1813 but was structurally unsound and replaced by the current church by John Brown of Norwich in 1839-1841. From outside it is a rather typical design of its time but inside a complex decorative scheme of the late 19th century has been restored. James Brooks lengthened the chancel, added chancel aisles and a wooden vault between 1875 and 1888.