On the site of the remains of the church of the Austin Friars, which had been used by Dutch protestants from 1550. The church was destroyed in WW2 and rebuilt as a church and offices in 1950-54 to the designs of Arthur Bailey. There are several windows by Dutch artist Max Nauta who designed the windows at St Andrew, Roxbourne.
A Wren church of 1671-79 which was demolished in 1892, apart from the tower which is now part of an office development.
A small church of the 13th and 15th century. Restored at various times by G.G. Scott (1863), A Blomfield (1871) and Ewan Christian (1891-92). Following war damage it was restored 1951-54 by E.B. Glanfield.
A Wren church of 1685-94, demolished except for the tower in 1869. It sits next to one of the busiest roads in the city.
A domed church by Wren 1681-86, damaged in WW2 and restored by Godfrey Allen 1945-57.
In the heart of the Barbican development, but predating it by over 400 years. It was built 1545-50, badly damaged in WW2 and rebuilt by Godfrey Allen, opening in 1960.
Thanks to its “wedding cake” steeple one of the best known churches in the City. A Christopher Wren design,It dates from 1691-98, with the steeple added 1701-03. It was burnt out in 1941 and restored 1955-57 by Godfrey Allen. The crypt is also the home of an interesting museum about the city and the earlier history of the church.
Bombed out in 1941, Wren’s tower of 1695-96 was reconstructed by Paul Paget of Seely and Paget in 1966 and now forms part of St Paul’s Cathedral choir school. The tower is immediately at the east end of the cathedral.
A church of 1677-87 by Wren, though possibly Hooke was also involved. Following war damage it was restored 1963-68 by Braddock and Martin. Having been used by a Lutheran congregation it is now the Gresham Centre, a music based charity.
A medieval church that has undergone many restorations, the last being 1875-76 by Ewan Christian and A. Blomfield , 1883 (tower top) by T. Chatfield Clarke and 1992 after IRA bombing blew out much glass. In 2012 it was reordered with new flooring and westward rooms as it is now used as a meeting venue by the St Helen’s Bishopsgate organisation.