Home » Covent Garden
Category Archives: Covent Garden
Set below road level, close to the Piazza area. Designed 1873-74 by F.H. Pownall. It was undergoing east end restoration in October 2016 when the images at the foot of this set with scaffolding were taken. The latest images from April 2018 show the completed work, including the exposed brickwork of the nave.
The first classical church in London built by Inigo Jones 1631-38, but rebuilt after fire by Thomas Hardwick 1795-98, with 19th century restoration by Butterfield in 1871-1872a and Henry Clutton in 1878-1882. Its east end is the backdrop to the Covent garden piazza. Known as “The actor’s church”, there are many, mainly 20th century memorials to well known actors.