Home » Finchley
Category Archives: Finchley
Near the northern end of the town centre, a church of 1886 by J. Ladds. The aisles have ben divided off and a large extension to make this St Paul’s Centre has been added on the south side. Folding partitions can separate the nave from the chancel and transepts. Many of the furnishings such as the altar, pulpit and chancel screen have been removed.
At the southern end of Finchley town centre in the area called Church End. Set back from the road, this is a 15th century church at heart. However there is a small amount of evidence of a Norman building, the 19th century saw Newman and Billing add a south aisle, north aisle clerestory and rebuilt arcade in 1872. The next century saw Charles Nicholson add the outer south aisle in 1932. The chancel was badly damaged in WW2 and was rebuilt and extended by Caroe and Partners.