Home » Hammersmith
Category Archives: Hammersmith
Charing Cross Hospital Chapel, Fulham Palace Road, Hammersmith
In the south wing on the ground floor, it is part of the redevelopment of 1973 by Ralph Tubbs. The 3rd and 4th stained glass windows (chapel entrance) were designed by John Piper and made by Patrick Reyntiens, the first two in the sanctuary are by Alfred Fisher.
St Augustine, Fulham Palace Road, Hammersmith (Roman Catholic)
St Mary (former), Stamford Brook Road, Hammersmith
St Andrew Bobola, Leysfield Road, Hammersmith (Roman Catholic)
This is a Polish Roman Catholic church that began life in 1870 as a Presbyterian church designed by Edmund Woodthorpe. It was adapted to Roman Catholic use in 1961 by Alexander P. Klecki with the addition then and subsequently of much stained glass, a north aisle and chapels and many memorials and striking Stations of the Cross.
St John the Evangelist, Glenthorne Road, Hammersmith
St Peter, Black Lion Lane, Hammersmith
Holy Trinity, Brook Green, Hammersmith
St Paul, Queen Caroline Street, Hammersmith
The parish church for Hammersmith town centre. It is on something approaching a traffic island on three sides, with the fourth made up of the elevated M4 passing a few feet away. It is a large church of 1882 by H. Roumieu Gough and J.P. Seddon. recent restoration has seen the addition of a large western extension with offices and a cafe and an emptying of much of the church’s furnishings in favour of a modern evangelical style.
Holy Innocents, Paddenswick Road, Hammersmith
Designed by James Brooks in 1887 and built 1889-91. In 1991 the church was divided horizontally and vertically with the western end becoming halls and a nursery, leaving the transepts and chancel as the church space. The Lady Chapel at the eastern end of the south transept was also removed. Older halls to the south-east were replaced by housing. The interior is still typically Brooks and contains a huge baldacchino by Ernest Geldart and glass designed by Henry Holliday.