Home » Kentish Town

Category Archives: Kentish Town

Architects & Places

Make the Pictures Bigger

Click on any picture to enlarge it.
Use the browser back button to return to the post.

St Barnabas (former), Kentish Town Road, Kentish Town (now Cathedral of St Andrew, Greek Orthodox)

Built 1884-85 by Ewan Christian. It becake a Greek Orthodox church in 1957 and a Cathedral in 1970. In contrast to the plain exterior the interior walls and ceilings are completely decorated with colourful and impressive paintings of Biblical scenes. Although I was able to take a set of interior photographs the priest present requested that they are not published.

 
 

St John the Baptist (former), Highgate Road, Kentish Town (now Christ Apostolic)

A nedieval chapel was replaced by this church designed by James Wyatt in 1782-84. Its Palladian appearance was drastically changed by J.H. Hakewill who altered it to a Neo-norman building in 1843-45, adding the east end and towers to replace a portico facing the street. It was declared redundant in 1993, was derelict and used for raves before being taken over by the Nigerian Christ Apostolic church.

 
   
 

St Anargyre Cosmas and Damian, Gordon House Road, Kentish Town (Greek Orthodox)

Just off Highgate Road, a small church from the late 19th century, which became a Greek Orthodox church in 1967 having been built as a Catholic Apostolic church.

   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   

St Benet and All Saints, Lupton Street, Kentish Town

A large church in suburban streets. It was designed by Cecil Hare, who had worked with Bodley. The east end is of 1908 and the nave 1928, replacing one of 1884-85.

 
   
   
            
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   

St Luke, Osney Crescent/Caversham Road, Kentish Town

Built 1867-69, the first church by Basil Champneys, with a tall tower at the east end. It was declared redundant in 1991 but since 2011 it has housed an evangelical CoE congregation

 
   
 

Holy Trinity, Clarence Way, Kentish Town

By Thomas Wyatt and David Brandon 1849-50. Hidden away in back streets and behind railway arches.

kentish_town_holy_trinity010312_1 kentish_town_holy_trinity010312_
      
   
   
   
   
   
   
   

Our Lady of Help of Christians, Kentish Town (Roman Catholic)

Built as a Methodist church 1864-67 by John Tarring, but taken over by the Roman Catholic church in 1969. It still looks  almost  as much Methodist as Catholic in layout.

  kentish_town_Our_Lady_Help_of_Christians010312_  
    
   
   
   
   

St Silas, St Silas Place, Kentish Town

One of the “highest” Anglican churches in London. It was designed by Ernest Shearman and built in 1911-12. The contents are a remarkable collection of furnishings and decorations. The banners and the triptych are by Nina Somerset, who also added the painted colour to the Stations of the Cross.

kentish_town_st_silas010312_1 kentish_town_st_silas010312_2
 kentish_town_st_silas010312_  kentish_town_st_silas081212_6
 kentish_town_st_silas081212_  kentish_town_st_silas081212_2