Home » Lewis, J. Anthony
Category Archives: Lewis, J. Anthony
On a prominent corner site on the border of Bow and Bethnal Green. It was built in 1865 as a non conformist chapel but acquired by the Church of England in 1870. It was designed by William Wigginton. In the second world war it was bombed out and rebuilt within the original walls in 1957 to the designs of J. Antony Lewis..
In a large open churchyard this church was originally of 1743-46 by George Dance the elder, it was remodelled in the 19th century but bombed out in 1940. It was rebuilt by J. Anthony Lewis in 1958-61. The exterior was restored to its original 18th century look, but a new interior with many contemporary art works was built within the walls.