Home » London Borough of Camden (Page 2)

Category Archives: London Borough of Camden

Architects & Places

Make the Pictures Bigger

Click on any picture to enlarge it.
Use the browser back button to return to the post.

St Peter, Belsize Square, Belsize Park

Built in 1858-59 in a typical London ragstone style by W.Mumford to which J.P. St Aubyn added a chancel porch in 1875.


St Thomas More, Maresfield Gardens, Swiss Cottage (Roman Catholic)

Built in 1968-69 and designed by Gerard Goalen. The elliptical shape is rather hidden behind other buildings. New ancillary buildings have recently been added next to the steps up to the church.


Holy Trinity, Finchley Road, Swiss Cottage

Opposite Finchley Road Station, a church of 1978 by Biscoe and Stanton, replacing a church of the 1870s. In its turn the 1978 church is due for demolition and replacement by a new building called The Lighthouse.


All Souls (former), Loudon Road, Swiss Cottage

Near South Hampstead station, this church by J.F. Wadmore from 1864-65, was made redundant in 1985. The west end and south aisle were added in 1904-05 by Nicholson and Corlette. After a period as a Pentecostal church it has now become housing and a day nursery.


St Mary, King Henry’s Road, Primrose Hill

Build at the apex of the King Henry’s Road and Primrose Hill Road junction. It dates from 1870-72 and was designed by M.P. Manning, with the wide south aisle and chapel added in 1891-92. From 1901-1915 the vicar was Percy Dearmer who had a great influence through his writings on church furnishing and decoration, the white walls of the building reflect this. The reredos by Bodley and Garner was cut down to show more of the east windows, the pulpit is also by them.



Sacred Heart, Quex Road, Kilburn (Roman Catholic)

A short way off the High Road this is a large church of 1879 by Pugin and Pugin. They added an eastward extension in 1898-99 and it was further extended this way in 1964-65 by F.G. Broadbent and Partners who also added the south transept and considerably widened the south aisle. The west porch was added in 1959 by Gordon and Gordon


St Cuthbert, Fordwych Road, West Hampstead

As close to Kilburn as West Hampstead. The church dates from 1987-88 and is by Jeremy A. Allen in replacement of its late 19th century predecessor. The bell comes from that earlier building.


St Anne Brookfield, Highgate West Hill

Up the road from Parliament Hill Fields, this is a typical mid-century suburban church of 1852-53 designed by George Plunkett.


St Mary Magdalene, Munster Square, Euston

One of the earliest scholarly gothic revival churches. A short way west of Euston and north of Euston Road, it dates from 1849-52 and was designed by R.C. Carpenter, with the south aisle added in 1883-84 by his son R.H. Carpenter. The chancel decoration is by Daniel Bell and Richard Almond, the reredos was added by Charles Nicholson in 1935 and the rood by J.T. Micklethwaite. The great east window is by Hardman to Pugin designs, though much restored.


Holy Trinity (Former), Kingsway, Holborn now facade of office development.

Over the road from Holborn tube station this was built in 1909-1911 by Belcher and Joas. It was declared redundant in 1992 and is now merely a frontage to a modern office building.