Home » London Borough of Islington (Page 2)

Category Archives: London Borough of Islington

Architects & Places

Make the Pictures Bigger

Click on any picture to enlarge it.
Use the browser back button to return to the post.

St Jude and St Paul, Mildmay Grove

By A.D. Gough from 1855, with the chancel, aisles and clerestory added in 1871 by Edwin Clare.

mildmay_st_jude_st_paul141213_4 mildmay_st_jude_st_paul141213_6

St Augustine, Highbury New Park, Highbury

Built as part of the Highbury Park estate and designed by Habershon and Brock in 1869-70

highbury_st_augustine141213_3  highbury_st_augustine141213_5
 highbury_st_augustine141213_7 highbury_st_augustine141213_

Blessed Sacrament, Copenhagen Street, Islington

Designed by Robert L. Curtis and built in 1916.

islington_blessed_sacrement_rc091213_  islington_blessed_sacrement_rc091213_2

All Saints, Caledonian Road/Carnegie Street, Islington

A hall/church of 1977.

islington_all_saints091213_1 islington_all_saints091213_2

Church on the Corner, Barnsbury Road

Originally the derelict King Edward VII pub at 64 Barnsbury Road, it became an Anglican church in 1994. There appear to be no church like fittings inside.

barnsbury_church_on_the_cornerr091213_ barnsbury_church_on_the_cornerr091213_1

Sacred Heart of Jesus, Eden Grove, Lower Holloway (Roman Catholic)

Part of the street front and rather hidden away. It is by F.H. Pownall and dates from 1869-70.

holloway_sacred_heart)of_jesus_rc091213_  holloway_sacred_heart)of_jesus_rc091213_1
 holloway_sacred_heart)of_jesus_rc091213_2  holloway_sacred_heart)of_jesus_rc091213_3

St Luke, Hillmarton Road, West Holloway

Designed by Charles Lee, 1859-60.

 tufnell_park_st_luke091213_ tufnell_park_st_luke091213_4

St Joseph, Highgate Hill, Highgate (Roman Catholic)

A huge domed church facing up Highgate Hill and next to Dartmouth Park. It was designed by Albert Vicars and built in 1887-89 replacing a building constructed only 25 years earlier.

highgate_st_joseph_rc091213_28  highgate_st_joseph_rc091213_
 highgate_st_joseph_rc091213_6  highgate_st_joseph_rc091213_17
 highgate_st_joseph_rc091213_25  highgate_st_joseph_rc091213_26
 highgate_st_joseph_rc091213_22  highgate_st_joseph_rc091213_21
 highgate_st_joseph_rc091213_9  highgate_st_joseph_rc091213_8
 highgate_st_joseph_rc091213_11  highgate_st_joseph_rc091213_23
 highgate_st_joseph_rc091213_14  highgate_st_joseph_rc091213_18
 highgate_st_joseph_rc091213_24  highgate_st_joseph_rc091213_19

St George, Crayford Road, Tufnell Park

Built in 1972-75 and designed by Clive Alexander to replace the nearby redundant Victorian St George.

tufnell_park_st_george091213_  tufnell_park_st_george091213_2
 tufnell_park_st_george091213_1  tufnell_park_st_george091213_4

St George (former), Tufnell Park (now House on the Rock)

A remarkable plan of an octagonal nave within a circular building with a detached tower. It was designed by George Truefitt and built in 1865-68 for a breakaway Anglican group called the Free Church of England. In 1973-76 it was converted to a theatre. In 2010 a new building, Rock Tower, designed by Paul Davis and Partners was added between the church and the tower. The existing building was also renovated.

tufnell_park_st_george_former091213_1 tufnell_park_st_george_former091213_4
 tufnell_park_st_george_former091213_6  tufnell_park_st_george_former091213_9
 tufnell_park_st_george_former091213_8  tufnell_park_st_george_former091213_7