Home » London Borough of Lewisham (Page 3)

Category Archives: London Borough of Lewisham

Architects & Places

Make the Pictures Bigger

Click on any picture to enlarge it.
Use the browser back button to return to the post.

St Mark (Former), Edward Street, Deptford now Celestial Church of Christ

A church of 1883 by A.H. Newman in an area between New Cross and Deptford that is undergoing redevelopment.  It closed in 1955 and was sold to the Celestial Church of Christ in 1998 after having been a warehouse and a community centre.

Church of the Resurrection, Kirkdale, Sydenham (Roman Catholic)

A small street corner church by Broadbent, Hastings, Reid & Todd and dating from 1974

Our Lady and St Phillip Neri, Sydenham Road, Sydenham (Roman Catholic)

Alongside the road, this church is of 1957-59 by Walters & Kerr Bate, with the tower added in 1961, it replaced a building destroyed in WW2.

St Saviour and Saints John the Baptist and Evangelist, Lewisham High Street, Lewisham (Roman Catholic)

At the southern end of the town centre and visible from far off due to its tower topped with a figure of Christ. This tower was built in 1925-1929 along with a wide south aisle. The rest of the church was built in 1909. The whole building is by Claude Kelly and Campbell Dickie.

Our Lady of Lourdes, Burnt Ash Hill, Lee (Roman Catholic)

On the hill above Lee Station, this is a church of 1939 by a parishioner, Francis M. Panario.

St William of York, Brockley Park, Forest Hill (Roman Catholic)

On a steeply rising side road off Brockley Rise. It was built in 1905 and has been attributed to  Clement Jackson. Subsequently, Wilfrid Mangan in the 1930s and Williams & Winkley in the 1980s made additions to the building.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer Church, Dacres Road, Forest Hill (German Evangelical)

The church backs on to a railway line and was designed by G.S. Agar in 1958-59 replacing a WW2 damaged church

Our Lady of the Assumption, Deptford High Street, Deptford (Roman Catholic)

Slightly set back from the high street this is a church of 1844 with a chancel added in 1859 designed by Canon Richard North.

St Stephen, Lewisham High Street, Lewisham

The town centre church for Lewisham.  It dates from 1863-1865 and was designed by George Gilbert Scott. The tower never got higher than its base. Much glass was lost in WW2 but some medallions remain as does chancel wall decoration. The east windows are by Joseph Nuttgens from 1954.

St Augustine, Baring Road, Grove Park

Close to Grove Park station. The originally apsed chancel dates from 1885-86 and was designed by Charles Bell. The nave and aisles were added by Percy Leeds in 1912. However, the west end was unfinished until 1967 when the present non-matching extension by E.F. Starling was built. The apse suffered from subsidence and was demolished in 1993 with a straight wall substituted in 2007 by Thomas F Ford and Partners. The windows of the apse were kept and refitted around the church.