A landmark on Blackheath as it is surrounded on all sides by the heath with no separation at all. It was designed by Benjamin Ferrey and built 1857-1867. The porch and vestries were added in 1890 and 1899 by A.W. Blomfield. Many windows were blown out in WW2 leaving a light interior. The screen is a WW1 memorial.
A small mission church serving the Orchard estate a short way north of Lewisham near Elverson Park DLR station.
The original church of 1849-1854 by W.B.L. Granville is now used by Goldsmith’s College on whose campus it stands. Next door stands a building of 1982 by Raymond Hill. This was built as a youth club but the ground floor is now used as the church.
A big church by Newman and Billing dating from 1869-1871
A church of 1956-1957 by Thomas F. Ford. It is a replacement for a church of 1880 by Ernest Newton. The west end (which is the only part of the interior I have so far accessed) was converted into a hall in 1990.
A large church begun in 1892 by Ernest Newton with detailing by William Lethaby The chancel and transepts were finished in 1904. At the rear is the hall which was the original mission church of 1884 for the parish.
Replacing a building of 1955 that was demolished in 1971, The current structure was built as an estate community centre by Gordon Cook and has a small worship area within.
An unfinished church, of which only the west front is visible close-up. It was built in 1903 by G.F. Fellowes Prynne but only three nave bays were built and this was finished off with a temporary wall and narthex which form the view from the street.
Replacing a bombed church that stood at right angles to the present building, this is by W.H. Hobday and F.J. Maynard from 1955-1956. The pews and organ case are from the older church. Due to the tight curve of the crescent both its east and west fronts face the same road.
Down a driveway between houses, this is a former church hall of 1925 by E.C. Christmas. It replaced a demolished church in 1982.