Home » Marshall, Donald Plaskett

Category Archives: Marshall, Donald Plaskett

Architects & Places

Make the Pictures Bigger

Click on any picture to enlarge it.
Use the browser back button to return to the post.

The Good Shepherd, Moorside Road, Downham (Roman Catholic)

Built in 1961-63 by Donald Plaskett Marshall replacing a hall that had been used since this huge LCC estate was built in the 1920s

Sacred Heart, Camberwell New Road/Knatchbull Road, Camberwell (Roman Catholic)

Squashed up against the railway and designed to minimise noise intrusion. It is by Donald Plaskett Marshall and dates from 1953 in replacement of a bombed church of 1863.

  

St Joseph, Bolton Road, Grove Park, Chiswick (Roman Catholic)

Replacing a house used for worship, which became the presbytery, this is a church of 1959-60 by Donald Plaskett Marshall. An entrance area was added in the 199os by Eckhard Weisner

             
   
   
   
   
   
   

Our Lady of the Crays, High Street, St Mary Cray (Roman Catholic)

At the opposite (southern) end of the High Street to the Anglican parish church. The present building replaced a church, called St Joseph, that had been built in 1959 by Donald Plaskett Marshall. All that remains of that building is the tower which has a new cap replacing a 60 foot high structure supporting a cross. Even at its current height the tower is a significant landmark. The current building supersedes both that and St Peter & St Paul at St Paul’s Cray which had been built after WW2 and was sold for a housing development in 2008. The new building is by Tomei and Mackley Partnership and was built in 2010-2011. The glass at the west end was apparently brought from India and installed in 2014.

st_mary_cray_our_lady_of_the_crays_rc070217_36  st_mary_cray_our_lady_of_the_crays_rc070217_3
 st_mary_cray_our_lady_of_the_crays_rc070217_  st_mary_cray_our_lady_of_the_crays_rc070217_35
 st_mary_cray_our_lady_of_the_crays_rc070217_34  st_mary_cray_our_lady_of_the_crays_rc070217_27
 st_mary_cray_our_lady_of_the_crays_rc070217_30  st_mary_cray_our_lady_of_the_crays_rc070217_18
 st_mary_cray_our_lady_of_the_crays_rc070217_7  st_mary_cray_our_lady_of_the_crays_rc070217_9
 st_mary_cray_our_lady_of_the_crays_rc070217_19  st_mary_cray_our_lady_of_the_crays_rc070217_24
 st_mary_cray_our_lady_of_the_crays_rc070217_25  st_mary_cray_our_lady_of_the_crays_rc070217_28
 st_mary_cray_our_lady_of_the_crays_rc070217_22
 st_mary_cray_our_lady_of_the_crays_rc070217_11  st_mary_cray_our_lady_of_the_crays_rc070217_10
 st_mary_cray_our_lady_of_the_crays_rc070217_12  st_mary_cray_our_lady_of_the_crays_rc070217_17
 st_mary_cray_our_lady_of_the_crays_rc070217_16  st_mary_cray_our_lady_of_the_crays_rc070217_13
 st_mary_cray_our_lady_of_the_crays_rc070217_32  st_mary_cray_our_lady_of_the_crays_rc070217_29
 st_mary_cray_our_lady_of_the_crays_rc070217_14  st_mary_cray_our_lady_of_the_crays_rc070217_20

St Matthew, Norwood High Street, West Norwood (Roman Catholic)

Built 1904-05 and attributed to F.W. Tasker. It was extended eastwards in 1937 and the west end was rebuilt 1949-50 after WW2 damage. The architect for this was D. Plaskett Marshall. The interior was re-orientated along the long north side in 1972 and the narthex on the south side was added in 1984, the architect being Derek Philips.

   west_norwood_st_mathew_rc161214_4  west_norwood_st_mathew_rc161214_3
 west_norwood_st_mathew_rc161214_  west_norwood_st_mathew_rc161214_2

St Boniface German Church, Adler Street, Whitechapel (Roman catholic)

A large church of 1959-60 in a narrow street. The design is by D. Plaskett Marshall and Partners. The bells are from the previous 19th century church.

spitalfields_st_boniface_rc051013_  spitalfields_st_boniface_rc051013_5
 spitalfields_st_boniface_rc051013_4  spitalfields_st_boniface_rc051013_3
 spitalfields_st_boniface_rc051013_1  spitalfields_st_boniface_rc051013_2
 whitechapel_st_boniface_gerrman_rc150916_17            whitechapel_st_boniface_gerrman_rc150916_3  whitechapel_st_boniface_gerrman_rc150916_15
 whitechapel_st_boniface_gerrman_rc150916_13  whitechapel_st_boniface_gerrman_rc150916_2
 whitechapel_st_boniface_gerrman_rc150916_6  whitechapel_st_boniface_gerrman_rc150916_8
 whitechapel_st_boniface_gerrman_rc150916_9  whitechapel_st_boniface_gerrman_rc150916_10
 whitechapel_st_boniface_gerrman_rc150916_7  whitechapel_st_boniface_gerrman_rc150916_11
 whitechapel_st_boniface_gerrman_rc150916_4  whitechapel_st_boniface_gerrman_rc150916_5
 whitechapel_st_boniface_gerrman_rc150916_12  whitechapel_st_boniface_gerrman_rc150916_

St John Vianney, Stoneleigh Road, Clayhall

Dating from 1966 by Donald Plaskett Marshall and at the time of visiting (April 2013) it was completely shrouded in scaffolding.

 clayhill_st_john_vianny020413_2  clayhill_st_john_vianny020413_