Home » Newton, John

Category Archives: Newton, John

Architects & Places

Make the Pictures Bigger

Click on any picture to enlarge it.
Use the browser back button to return to the post.

St Francis de Sales, Wellington Road, Hampton Hill

Dating from 1965-66, it was designed by John Newton of Burles, Newton and Partners.

  hampton_hill_st_francis_de_sales101116_5  hampton_hill_st_francis_de_sales101116_4
 hampton_hill_st_francis_de_sales101116_3 hampton_hill_st_francis_de_sales101116_
 hampton_hill_st_francis_de_sales101116_6

St Aloysius, Phoenix Road, Somers Town (Roman Catholic)

Round the corner from Euston Station, this is a church of 1966-67 by John Newton of Burles, Newton & Partners. It replaced a church of 1808 damaged in WW2.

euston_st_aloysius_rc300916_35  euston_st_aloysius_rc300916_34
 euston_st_aloysius_rc300916_33  euston_st_aloysius_rc300916_
 euston_st_aloysius_rc300916_1  euston_st_aloysius_rc300916_3
 euston_st_aloysius_rc300916_4  euston_st_aloysius_rc300916_5
 euston_st_aloysius_rc300916_6  euston_st_aloysius_rc300916_15
 euston_st_aloysius_rc300916_13  euston_st_aloysius_rc300916_12
 euston_st_aloysius_rc300916_11  euston_st_aloysius_rc300916_10
 euston_st_aloysius_rc300916_7  euston_st_aloysius_rc300916_9
 euston_st_aloysius_rc300916_8  euston_st_aloysius_rc300916_27
 euston_st_aloysius_rc300916_17  euston_st_aloysius_rc300916_28
 euston_st_aloysius_rc300916_20  euston_st_aloysius_rc300916_21
 euston_st_aloysius_rc300916_22  euston_st_aloysius_rc300916_18
 euston_st_aloysius_rc300916_23  euston_st_aloysius_rc300916_24
 euston_st_aloysius_rc300916_32

St Anselm, South Road, Southall (Roman Catholic)

South of the station and the Uxbridge Road part of the town centre. The church dates from 1967 and was designed by J.Newton of Burles Newton and Partners. The glass is by Patrick Reyntiens.

         ???????????????????????????????  ???????????????????????????????
 ???????????????????????????????  ???????????????????????????????
 southall_st_anselm_rc091014_1  southall_st_anselm_rc091014_4
 southall_st_anselm_rc091014_10  southall_st_anselm_rc091014_11
 southall_st_anselm_rc091014_6  ???????????????????????????????
 ???????????????????????????????  southall_st_anselm_rc091014_9
 southall_st_anselm_rc091014_2

St Aidan of Lindisfarne, Old Oak Common Lane, East Acton (Roman Catholic)

Part of the street frontage just north of Savoy Circus on Western Avenue. It dates from 1958-61 and is by John Newton of Burles, Newton and Partners. Inside there are many impressive art works. The concrete and mosaic stations are by A. Fleischmann, the crucifixion painting by Graham Sutherland. The dalle de verre coloured glass is by Pierre Fourmaintreaux

https://londonchurchbuildings.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/east_acton_st_aidan_rc120514_1.jpg https://londonchurchbuildings.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/east_acton_st_aidan_rc120514_1.jpg
 https://londonchurchbuildings.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/east_acton_st_aidan_rc120514_1.jpg  https://londonchurchbuildings.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/east_acton_st_aidan_rc120514_1.jpg
 

St Thomas Moore, Field End Road, Eastcote (Roman Catholic)

Just down the road from the Anglican church this is a church of 1976 by John Newton of Burles, Newton and Partners, incorporating a hall of 1937 by L. Shattock.

  eastcote_st_thomas_more_rc30314_3 eastcote_st_thomas_more_rc30314_4
 eastcote_st_thomas_more_rc30314_1  eastcote_st_thomas_more_rc30314_2

St Thomas Moore, Henry Road, Manor House (Roman Catholic)

A small church hidden away in suburban streets near manor House Station. It dates from 1972-75 and was designed by John Newton of Burles, Newton and Partners. It also features a dovecot and its own white doves.

manor_house_st_thomas_moore281113_2  manor_house_st_thomas_moore281113_3
 manor_house_st_thomas_moore281113_1  manor_house_st_thomas_moore281113_4

Our Lady of La Salette, Rainham (Roman Catholic)

A large A framed building of 1966-67 by John Newton of Burles, Newton and Partners.

rainham_our_lady_of_salette_rc101013_1  rainham_our_lady_of_salette_rc101013_2
 rainham_our_lady_of_salette_rc101013_30  rainham_our_lady_of_salette_rc101013_5
 rainham_our_lady_of_salette_rc101013_6  rainham_our_lady_of_salette_rc101013_26
 rainham_our_lady_of_salette_rc101013_29  rainham_our_lady_of_salette_rc101013_11
 rainham_our_lady_of_salette_rc101013_9  rainham_our_lady_of_salette_rc101013_10
 rainham_our_lady_of_salette_rc101013_12  rainham_our_lady_of_salette_rc101013_14
 rainham_our_lady_of_salette_rc101013_19  rainham_our_lady_of_salette_rc101013_27

St Mary and St Ethelburga, Linton Road, Barking (Roman Catholic)

Close to the town centre by John Newton of Newton, Burles and Partners and dating from 1979 replacing a 19th century church.

barking_st_mary_rc260913_2  barking_st_mary_rc260913_
 barking_st_mary_rc260913_8  barking_st_mary_rc260913_9
 barking_st_mary_rc260913_7  barking_st_mary_rc260913_5
 barking_st_mary_rc260913_4

St John the Baptist, Wanstead Park Road, Ilford (Roman Catholic)

From 1967 and designed by John Newton of Burles, Newton and Partners.

  ilford_st_john_the_baptist_rc020413_  ilford_st_john_the_baptist_rc020413_2
 ilford_st_john_the_baptist_rc020413_1