Home » North Kensington

Category Archives: North Kensington

Architects & Places

Make the Pictures Bigger

Click on any picture to enlarge it.
Use the browser back button to return to the post.

St Francis, Pottery Lane, Notting Dale (Roman Catholic)

1859-60 by Henry Clutton as a complex of church, schools and presbytery for the oblates of St Charles.. J.F. Bentley, in his first work, added the angled Lady Chapel, baptistery and porch in 1861-63

north_kensington_st_francis_pottery_lane_rc020616_36  north_kensington_st_francis_pottery_lane_rc020616_35
 north_kensington_st_francis_pottery_lane_rc020616_32 north_kensington_st_francis_pottery_lane_rc020616_34
 north_kensington_st_francis_pottery_lane_rc020616_  north_kensington_st_francis_pottery_lane_rc020616_31
 north_kensington_st_francis_pottery_lane_rc020616_28  north_kensington_st_francis_pottery_lane_rc020616_17
 north_kensington_st_francis_pottery_lane_rc020616_13  north_kensington_st_francis_pottery_lane_rc020616_12
 north_kensington_st_francis_pottery_lane_rc020616_6  north_kensington_st_francis_pottery_lane_rc020616_4
 north_kensington_st_francis_pottery_lane_rc020616_7  north_kensington_st_francis_pottery_lane_rc020616_5
 north_kensington_st_francis_pottery_lane_rc020616_1  north_kensington_st_francis_pottery_lane_rc020616_24
 north_kensington_st_francis_pottery_lane_rc020616_16  north_kensington_st_francis_pottery_lane_rc020616_11
 north_kensington_st_francis_pottery_lane_rc020616_14  north_kensington_st_francis_pottery_lane_rc020616_8
 north_kensington_st_francis_pottery_lane_rc020616_20  north_kensington_st_francis_pottery_lane_rc020616_18
 north_kensington_st_francis_pottery_lane_rc020616_3  north_kensington_st_francis_pottery_lane_rc020616_24
 north_kensington_st_francis_pottery_lane_rc020616_26
 north_kensington_st_francis_pottery_lane_rc020616_29  north_kensington_st_francis_pottery_lane_rc020616_27

St James Norlands, St James Gardens

The centrepiece of a private square, it dates from 1844-45 and was designed by lewis Vulliamy. The chancel was added by R.J. Withers in 1876.

north_kensington_st_james_norlands020616_  north_kensington_st_james_norlands020616_61
 north_kensington_st_james_norlands020616_59 north_kensington_st_james_norlands020616_1
 north_kensington_st_james_norlands020616_56  north_kensington_st_james_norlands020616_58
 north_kensington_st_james_norlands020616_50  north_kensington_st_james_norlands020616_2
 north_kensington_st_james_norlands020616_3  north_kensington_st_james_norlands020616_30
 north_kensington_st_james_norlands020616_54  north_kensington_st_james_norlands020616_41
 north_kensington_st_james_norlands020616_42  north_kensington_st_james_norlands020616_26
 north_kensington_st_james_norlands020616_21  north_kensington_st_james_norlands020616_22
 north_kensington_st_james_norlands020616_19  north_kensington_st_james_norlands020616_13
 north_kensington_st_james_norlands020616_11  north_kensington_st_james_norlands020616_53
 north_kensington_st_james_norlands020616_37  north_kensington_st_james_norlands020616_44
 north_kensington_st_james_norlands020616_49  north_kensington_st_james_norlands020616_40
 north_kensington_st_james_norlands020616_32  north_kensington_st_james_norlands020616_15
 north_kensington_st_james_norlands020616_6  north_kensington_st_james_norlands020616_12
 north_kensington_st_james_norlands020616_43  north_kensington_st_james_norlands020616_13

St Clement, Treadgold Street, Notting Dale

Not far from Latimer Road tube station. The church dates from 1867-69 and was designed by J.P St Aubyn. The chancel is divided off, but its south aisle is still used as a Lady Chapel. The interior is much more spacious than the exterior suggests.

                     north_kensington_st_clement020616_2 north_kensington_st_clement020616_1
 north_kensington_st_clement020616_6  north_kensington_st_clement020616_4
 north_kensington_st_clement020616_13  north_kensington_st_clement020616_5
 north_kensington_st_clement020616_16  north_kensington_st_clement020616_17
 north_kensington_st_clement020616_14  north_kensington_st_clement020616_12
 north_kensington_st_clement020616_7  north_kensington_st_clement020616_22
 north_kensington_st_clement020616_15  north_kensington_st_clement020616_18
 north_kensington_st_clement020616_3  rnorth_kensington_st_clement020616_20
 north_kensington_st_clement020616_7  north_kensington_st_clement020616_23
 north_kensington_st_clement020616_9  north_kensington_st_clement020616_8
 north_kensington_st_clement020616_19  north_kensington_st_clement020616_21
 north_kensington_st_clement020616_24  north_kensington_st_clement020616_25
 north_kensington_st_clement020616_33

St Francis of Assissi Community Church, Dalgarno Way, North Kensington

Built in 1935 but closed and then reopened in 2004. The frontage hides a rather drab exterior.

north_kensington_st_francis210416_2  north_kensington_st_francis210416_4
 north_kensington_st_francis210416_6  north_kensington_st_francis210416_5

St Pius X, St Charles Square, North Kensington

Built in 1908 as the chapel for St Charles College by P.A. Lamb and R. O’B. North. Now a parish church whose dull exterior hides a vibrant interior.

north_kensington_st_pius_x_rc210416_  north_kensington_st_pius_x_rc210416_32
 north_kensington_st_pius_x_rc210416_1  north_kensington_st_pius_x_rc210416_13
 north_kensington_st_pius_x_rc210416_16  north_kensington_st_pius_x_rc210416_12
 north_kensington_st_pius_x_rc210416_11  north_kensington_st_pius_x_rc210416_8
 north_kensington_st_pius_x_rc210416_10  north_kensington_st_pius_x_rc210416_6
 north_kensington_st_pius_x_rc210416_20  north_kensington_st_pius_x_rc210416_18

St Helen, St Helen’s Gardens, North Kensington

1954-56 by Sebastian Comper a complex of church, hall and vicarage replacing a church lost in WW2. The glass and organ case are by Ninian Comper.

 DSC05723 DSC05724
DSC05699  DSC05721
 DSC05722  DSC05714
 DSC05716  DSC05712
 DSC05711  DSC05710
 DSC05708  DSC05702
 DSC05703  DSC05704
 DSC05705  DSC05706
 DSC05717  DSC05720
 DSC05719