Home » Pearson, John Loughborough (Page 2)

Category Archives: Pearson, John Loughborough

Architects & Places

Make the Pictures Bigger

Click on any picture to enlarge it.
Use the browser back button to return to the post.

All Saints, Market Place, Kingston upon Thames

The large parish church of Kingston upon Thames. The building is largely 15th century but was heavily restored by Raphael Brandon, 1862-66 and John Loughborough Pearson, 1883. The brick tower top was added in 1708 by John Yeomans. During 2014 it has undergone a major restoration by Ptolmey Dean Architects.

kingston_all_saints251014_1 kingston_all_saints251014_60
 kingston_all_saints251014_58  kingston_all_saints251014_63
 kingston_all_saints251014_52  kingston_all_saints251014_42
 kingston_all_saints251014_27  kingston_all_saints251014_8
 kingston_all_saints251014_4  kingston_all_saints251014_5
 kingston_all_saints251014_46  kingston_all_saints251014_41
 kingston_all_saints251014_23  kingston_all_saints251014_24
 kingston_all_saints251014_9  kingston_all_saints251014_29
 kingston_all_saints251014_48  kingston_all_saints251014_32
 kingston_all_saints251014_49  kingston_all_saints251014_54
 kingston_all_saints251014_43  kingston_all_saints251014_39
 kingston_all_saints251014_37  kingston_all_saints251014_6
 kingston_all_saints251014_31  kingston_all_saints251014_28
 kingston_all_saints251014_21

St Mark, Barnet Vale

A church of 1897-99 in suburban Barnet. It is a late work of John Loughborough Pearson, left unfinished until 2006 when halls, lady chapel and permanent chancel were added.

 
   
barnet_vale_st_mark210613_18
 
 barnet_vale_st_mark210613_2  barnet_vale_st_mark210613_4
 barnet_vale_st_mark210613_24  barnet_vale_st_mark210613_8
 barnet_vale_st_mark210613_21

St John, Friern Barnet

By J.L. Pearson 1890-91 but completed by his son Frank 1888-1901 with the west end completed in 1911. The interior is wholly stone vaulted and contains a large series of windows by Clayton & Bell and just a couple of much more recent windows at the west end.

   
 friern_barnet_st_john231211_1  friern_barnet_st_john231211_
   
   
   
                 
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
      
   
   
   
   
   
   
   

Holy Cross, Cromer Street, Kings Cross

By Joseph Peacock, 1887. The font is by J.L. Pearson and there is a window by Martin Travers.

    kings_cross_holy_cross151211_5  kings_cross_holy_cross151211_
 kings_cross_holy_cross151211_1  kings_cross_holy_cross151211_2
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   

Catholic Apostolic Church, Maida Avenue

A large J.L. Pearson church, for this virtually disappeared sect. It was built 1891-93 and faces the Regent’s Canal near Little Venice.

maida_avenue_catholic_apostolic_church170112_2 maida_avenue_catholic_apostolic_church170112_1
 paddington_catholic_apostolic_church190114_4  paddington_catholic_apostolic_church190114_1
 paddington_catholic_apostolic_church190114_3

St John the Evangelist, Upper Norwood

This is one of John Loughborough Pearson’s major large brick built churches and dates from 1878-87. There are inner and outer aisles, together with an apsed Lady Chapel. The south transept was meant to be the base of a large tower that has never been completed. Although there has been considerable structural work done in 2016-2017, serous sunsidence means that the south side of the nave has to be propped by large wooden buttresses.It was damaged in WW2 and restored by Caroe and Partners in 1946-51. Much of the glass by Clayton and Bell was lost at that time. Some has been replaced by 1950s windows by Francis Spear. Some older glass by Kempe and Comper survives.

St Michael, Poplar Walk, Croydon

Next door to West Croydon bus station, this is one of ohn Loughborough Pearsons’s masterpieces of vaulted and darkly mysterious Anglo-Catholic design. It was built between 1880-1883, having been designed in 1876. The Lady Chapel fittings are by Ninian Comper

croydon_st_michael060112_1  croydon_st_michael060112_3
 croydon_st_michael060112_5