Home » Pearson, John Loughborough
Category Archives: Pearson, John Loughborough
The old parish church of Chiswick, very close to the Thames and a kilometre south of the modern town centre and the busy Great South West Road. It sits at one end of a large churchyard. The west tower is 15th century but the rest of the church was rebuilt by J.L. Pearson in 1882-84. The chancel includes three windows by William Burges from an incomplete rebuilding of 1861.
Possibly the best known church in Britain. Its £18 admission charge and ban on interior photography mean that it will not feature in detail here. Building of the current nave started in 1246 and by 1272 the chancel and four bays of the nave were complete. The west end was Norman, but the 14th century saw the towers encased. Th late 14th and 15th centuries saw the nave extended west in much the same style as 100 + years earlier. The lady chapel (henry VII’s chapel) was added in 1503-1510. Since then there have been numerous restorations and reconstructions. Nicholas Hawksmoor rebuilt the west towers in 1735-45. During the 19th century work was done by George Gilbert Scott, John Loughborough Pearson, J Oldrid Scott and J.T. Micklethwaite. In the 20th W.R. Lethaby, Walter Tapper, Charles Peers, Stephen Dykes Bower, Peter Foster and Donald Buttress carried out work.
In the shadow of the Abbey and opposite the Houses of Parliament. It was built 1482-1523. The Nave was designed by the mason Robert Stowell and the tower by the mason Henry Redman. The tower was rebuilt by John James ion 1735-37 and there was a major restoration by George Gilbert Scott in 1877-78. The chancel was extended by Walter Tower in 1905-06 and J.L. Pearson added west and south-east porches in 1891 and 1894 respectively. The east window is Dutch from 1515-27.
Inside Cranford Park and just in Hillingdon Borough (other Cranford churches are in Hounslow Borough).The tower is 15th century, the nave of 1710. There have been restorations by J.L. Pearson and Martin Travers and one just completed in March 2013, the church is open most Saturdays. It was once next to the a great house but all that now remains are the stables. The rural charm is spoilt by the M4 thundering past a few yards away.
The large parish church of Kingston upon Thames. The building is largely 15th century but was heavily restored by Raphael Brandon, 1862-66 and John Loughborough Pearson, 1883. The brick tower top was added in 1708 by John Yeomans. During 2014 it has undergone a major restoration by Ptolmey Dean Architects.