Home » Romford

Category Archives: Romford

Architects & Places

Make the Pictures Bigger

Click on any picture to enlarge it.
Use the browser back button to return to the post.

St Alban, Kings Road, Romford

A small suburban church of 1890, which hides inside a large amount of late twentieth and early twenty first century art.

   romford_st_alban101013_7 romford_st_alban101013_2
 romford_st_alban101013_3  romford_st_alban101013_20
 romford_st_alban101013_8  romford_st_alban101013_9
 romford_st_alban101013_10  romford_st_alban101013_19
 romford_st_alban101013_18  romford_st_alban101013_25
 romford_st_alban101013_24  romford_st_alban101013_12
 romford_st_alban101013_14  romford_st_alban101013_30
 romford_st_alban101013_21  romford_st_alban101013_26
 romford_st_alban101013_22  romford_st_alban101013_28
 romford_st_alban101013_27  romford_st_alban101013_31
 romford_st_alban101013_32  romford_st_alban101013_35

St Cedd (former), Sims Close, Romford

A hall just outside Romford town centre formerly owned by the Royal Association for Deaf People, which has been used for Anglican worship in the past. By 2019 it had become a day nursery

romford_st_cedd031013_

St Augustine, Birkbeck Road, Romford

Built in 1958 south-west of Romford town centre. The architect seems unrecorded.

 romford_st_augustine031013_3

St Edward the Confessor, Park End Road. Romford (Roman Catholic)

Separated from the market place by the ring road, this church was built in 1856 by David Cubitt Nicholls.

 P1210403

St Agnes, Jutsums Lane, Romford

Built in 1928, a hall church which has not been used for services since January 2017.

St John the Divine (Former), Mawney Road, Romford now Triumphant Chapel

North west of Romford town centre is the former parish church of St John. It was designed in a byzantine style by W.D. Caroe in 1927 but only the sanctuary was built, it was completed in 1932 by Herbert Passmore with a west wall by Laurence King in 1979. It was declared redundant in 2010 and was in the hands of The Redeemed Christian Church of God on my first visit in 2013. In January 2020 it is used by Triumphant Chapel/Christ Heritage Assembly based in Barking and the grounds are padlocked.

2020 views
2013 views
romford_st_john140313_8 romford_st_john140313_1
 romford_st_john140313_3 romford_st_john_foundation_stone140313_
 romford_st_john140313_7 romford_st_john_notices140313_

St Andrew, Romford

A backstreet church not too far west of the town centre. By John Johnson 1861-62. The east window was damaged by bombing so only the tracery lights are 19th century, the rest is from 1994 by Caroline Benyon.