Home » Rotherhithe

Category Archives: Rotherhithe

Architects & Places

Make the Pictures Bigger

Click on any picture to enlarge it.
Use the browser back button to return to the post.

Swedish Seamen’s Church (Former), Lower Road, Rotherhithe

A short way south of the other seamen’s churches, this one was closed in 2012. The street front of 1964-1966 is by Bent Jörgen Jörgensen and Elkington Smithers, this incorporated at the rear a 1939 church designed by Wigglesworth and Marshall Mackenzie.

St Mary, St Marychurch Street, Rotherhithe

In narrow streets between the Thames and the station, this is Rotherhithe’s old parish church. The medieval church was replaced over the period 1714-1747 by this classical building attributed to John James and Lawrence Dowbiggin (Tower). A restoration was carried out in 1876 by William Butterfield. All the interior pictures are taken from the west end through glass as only the narthex is open.

Holy Trinity, Rotherhithe Street, Rotherhithe

At the eastern end of Rotherhithe near the City Farm. It is a replacement for a war-damaged early 19th-century building. It dates from 1960 and is by Thomas F. Ford. The east end features a mural of the risen Christ by Hans Feibusch.  My visit in mid-November coincided with remedial work on some of the concrete pillars so part of the church was screened off, the organ encased and the Lady Chapel used as a furniture store, Views from May2019 show the building in its true state.

St Peter and the Guardian Angels, Paradise Street, Rotherhithe (Roman Catholic)

Now largely surrounded by a parkland, this is an F.W. Tasker church of 1902.

 

Finnish Seaman’s Church, Albion Street, Rotherhithe (Lutheran)

Under 200 metres from the Norwegian Seaman’s Church, this is a small worship area on the ground floor of a Finnish community resource. It dates from 1958 and is by Yorke, Rosenberg and Mardell.

    

St Olave Norwegian Seaman’s Church, Lower Road, Rotherhithe (Lutheran)

Next to the entrance road to the Rotherhithe Tunnel but fronted since 2017 by a very pleasant new garden, this is one of several seaman’s missions built in connection with the Surrey Docks. The church space is at the far end from the entrance which gives onto communal areas that can accommodate overspill on busy occasions. It was built in 1927 by John L. Seaton Dahl.