Home » Salvin, Anthony
Category Archives: Salvin, Anthony
Part way up the hill from Tooting Bec towards Wandsworth Common. The church is by Anthony Salvin from 1854-55. The tower and north transept were added by Benjamin Ferrey in 1860. He widened the north aisle in 1889. The south aisle that had been widened in 1893 is now divided off as a hall. The wall paintings of 1906-13 by Richard Castle are awaiting restoration.
Built as Christ Church for Anglicans in 1836-37 by James Pennethorne. The chancel was added by Anthony Salvin in 1843. It is now leased to the Antiochian Orthodox church, which is the Orthodox church for the Middle eastern states such as Syria, Lebanon and Jordan. There is much Clayton and Bell glass, plus one early Morris window designed by Rossetti. many of the furnishings such as the font, pulpit and high altar were designed by William Butterfield.