Home » South End

Category Archives: South End

Architects & Places

Make the Pictures Bigger

Click on any picture to enlarge it.
Use the browser back button to return to the post.

St John the Baptist, Bromley Road, Southend, Catford

Southend is at the southern end of Catford and this church is on a spacious corner site.  In fact, there are two buildings, the older is a former proprietary chapel of 1824 now used as a hall, and the newer the built part of what would have been a huge building by Sir Charles Nicholson dating from 1928. The nave was only partly built and is finished by a permanent “temporary” wall.  In 1977 a corona was installed in the centre of the church and the chancel screened off as vestries. However, this change has now been reversed and a high altar restored with a traditional eastward alignment. The north chapel is a memorial chapel to the Forster family who owned the land on which the church is built. This includes a very late recumbent effigy tomb to a son killed at the end of the first world war.