Home » Tapper, Walter
Category Archives: Tapper, Walter
Possibly the best known church in Britain. Its £18 admission charge and ban on interior photography mean that it will not feature in detail here. Building of the current nave started in 1246 and by 1272 the chancel and four bays of the nave were complete. The west end was Norman, but the 14th century saw the towers encased. Th late 14th and 15th centuries saw the nave extended west in much the same style as 100 + years earlier. The lady chapel (henry VII’s chapel) was added in 1503-1510. Since then there have been numerous restorations and reconstructions. Nicholas Hawksmoor rebuilt the west towers in 1735-45. During the 19th century work was done by George Gilbert Scott, John Loughborough Pearson, J Oldrid Scott and J.T. Micklethwaite. In the 20th W.R. Lethaby, Walter Tapper, Charles Peers, Stephen Dykes Bower, Peter Foster and Donald Buttress carried out work.