Home » Teulon, Samuel Sanders
Category Archives: Teulon, Samuel Sanders
A short way north of the town centre. The original church of 1851-1852 by S.S. Teulon, having closed in 1978 was badly damaged by fire in 1985 leaving the west end of the nave to be incorporated in a new building of 1991 by Maurice Taylor. The old church section is now a hall and the newer section, the worship area.
South of Greenwich town centre, this is an incomplete church of 1865-1866 by either S.S. or W.M. Teulon. It was badly damaged in WW2 and rebuilt subsequently. It closed in 1978 and was then used by a Wesleyan group until redundancy in 1984. It was then leased to Calvary Church and a scout troop before being sold in 1991 to the Seventh-day Adventists.
Ealing parish church but now a good mile south of the modern town centre. It is a church of 1735-40 by J. Horne but reimagined by S.S. Teulon 1866-74 in a byzantine manner. The interior is a tour de force of polychrome brickwork, painted ironwork, an elaborate roof structure and glass designed by Thomas Boddington (the treasurer of Teulon’s restoration) and made by Heaton, Butler & Bayne. The yellowish baptistery windows are by Lavers & Barraud. The interior was restored 2002-2003.
One of S.S.Teulon’s major buildings dating from 1860-62, standing almost alone normally, but currently partly surrounded by a crossrail construction site. As at St Stephen’s, Rosslyn Hill the church stood disused and vandalized, before being restored as Brick Lane Music Hall between 1984-89 by Julian Harrap.