Home » Thomas F. Ford & partners
Category Archives: Thomas F. Ford & partners
The ancient parish church of Plumstead, some way from the modern centre but pleasantly set on the edge of a ridge with a green separating it from the main road. The west and south walls of the present south aisle (once the nave) and the south transept are medieval. The north aisle (now the nave) was rebuilt in 1818. In 1867-1868 C.H. Cooke restored the building before a large new north aisle and chancel were added in 1907-1908 by Greenaway and Newberry. The brick west tower was constructed in 1662-1664. After WW2 damage the church was restored in 1959 by T.F. Ford and Partners.
Close to Grove Park station. The originally apsed chancel dates from 1885-86 and was designed by Charles Bell. The nave and aisles were added by Percy Leeds in 1912. However, the west end was unfinished until 1967 when the present non-matching extension by E.F. Starling was built. The apse suffered from subsidence and was demolished in 1993 with a straight wall substituted in 2007 by Thomas F Ford and Partners. The windows of the apse were kept and refitted around the church.
A huge unfinished church by G.H. Fellowes-Prynne of 1887-91 was badly damaged in WW2 and rebuilt by J.B.S. Comper. However it was burned out in 2000 and an impressive new church built in the walls, retaining the chancel but with much simplified furnishings. This dates from 2006 and was designed by Thomas F. Ford and Partners.