Home » Walthamstow (Page 2)

Category Archives: Walthamstow

Architects & Places

Make the Pictures Bigger

Click on any picture to enlarge it.
Use the browser back button to return to the post.

St Barnabas and St James, Walthamstow

In backstreets south of the town centre, a large red brick church by W.D. Caro 1902-03. The tin tabernacle from 1900 called Stafford Hall is just down the road past Caroe’s contemporary vicarage.

walthamstow__st_barnabas180413_5  walthamstow__st_barnabas180413_1
 walthamstow__st_barnabas180413_  walthamstow__st_barnabas180413_2
 walthamstow__st_barnabas180413_4 walthamstow__st_barnabas180413_3

St Saviour, Markhouse Street, Walthamstow

A prominent ragstone spire in the southern area of Walthamstow. It was designed by Francis T. Dolman 1873-74. During 2018 there is considerable restoration of the roof taking place (see church covered in scaffolding). A fire in 1945 damaged the roof, hence the more modern ceiling inside.

 

       walthamstow__st_saviour180413_1  walthamstow__st_saviour180413_6
walthamstow__st_saviour180413_5 walthamstow__st_saviour180413_3
 walthamstow__st_saviour180413_2 walthamstow__st_saviour180413_8
 walthamstow__st_saviour180413_7  walthamstow__st_saviour180413_9