Home » Wardell, William
Category Archives: Wardell, William
At the southern edge of the old village of Chislehurst and unusually for a Roman catholic church it sits in a burial ground. The architect was William Wardell and the church dates from 1854. The mortuary chapel on the south side was added by Henry Clutton in 1874 to house the body of Napoleon III, however he was interred in the crypt at Farnborough Abbey in Hampshire.
Just off Clapham High Street and currently (November 2014) under external restoration. The church was built 1849-51 to designs by William Wardell. In 1886 the Lady Chapel was added against the north aisle by John Francis Bentley, he also added the large aisled North transept in 1892-95. His son Osmund Bentley added the chapel of St Gerald Majella in 1910. An outer south aisle was added in 1928-29 by Bernard Cox.