Home » Wheeler Frederick
Category Archives: Wheeler Frederick
Mount Vernon Hospital was build as a Consumption (TB) hospital in 1902-1904 and designed by Frederick Wheeler, In 1905 this free standing arts and crafts style chapel was added a short way from the main building. After disuse in the 1960s it was converted to the Fowler Scott Cancer Research Library in 1988 by Bill Miller Associates, before becoming the home to the Gray Cancer Research Laboratory’s lecture theatre. They vacated it in 2009 and it has been disused since. The wooden screen with a list of chaplains and the opening details was visible through some damaged windows at the south-east end in May 2021, by Early June 2021 the windows had been repaired and covered with a metal mesh. It is listed Grade2* but its future use is not decided. Descriptions of the interior suggest that, at least, originally it had sumptuous fittings.
Nearby at one end of the main hospital block is a building labelled as the viewing chapel which in style suggests that it was another slightly earlier chapel, one stained glass window is visible from outside. A few images are at the end of this set. It would seem likely that this was a mortuary chapel rather than a worship space.