Home » Articles posted by zoothorn (Page 36)

Author Archives: zoothorn

Architects & Places

Make the Pictures Bigger

Click on any picture to enlarge it.
Use the browser back button to return to the post.

St Anne, Salusbury Road, Brondesbury Park

A replacement for a Cutts Brothers church of 1904-05, this was demolished in 1996 and a new building for the London Inter Faith Centre was erected (Domed section). There is a small room used as an Anglican chapel called the Trinity Chapel as part of the complex.

 
   
   
 

St Mark, Bathurst Gardens/All Souls Avenue, Kensal Rise

A typical suburban church by J.S. Alder dating from 1914. Like a number of his churches it was left unfinished until 1968 when Riley and Glanfield added a non matching west end.

   
 
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
 

Church of the Transfiguration, Chamberlayne Road, Kensal Rise (Roman Catholic)

Built as a Wesleyan church in 1899 by W.G. Morley. The Methodists now worship in the school building next door and it became a Roman Catholic church in 1977. Major modifications were made in 2010 by Anthony Delarue, the entrance is now at the rear of the church through a portico.

 
   
   
   
   

St Francis of Assisi, Fleetwood Road, Dollis Hill (became Roman Catholic, now artist’s studios)

In the middle of suburban streets between Willesden Green and Gladstone Park, it was designed as St Francis C of E church by J. Harold Gibbons in 1933, but was made redundant in 1991 and was used as a Polish Roman Catholic church. In 2024 it became a studio space administered by the Florence Trust.

          
   
   
   
   
 

St Mary Magdalene, Peter Avenue, Willesden Green (Roman Catholic)

A church of 1938 by Sterrett, Glover and Diplock. The pitched roof replaced a flat roof in 2002.

 
   
    
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   

St Gabriel, Walm Lane, Cricklewood

Prominently sited on a street corner. The church dates from 1896-1903 and is by W. Bassett Smith and R.P. Day. Two impressive reredoses by Coates Carter and much glass by Powells and one by Martin Travers.

     
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
       
   
   
   
   
   
 

St Michael (former), Mora Road, Cricklewood

Hidden away on a street corner near a former waterworks. The church is by J.S. Alder and dates from 1909-10. It was made redundant in 1992 and became the Church of Christ Apostolic, but it now appears to be  up for sale.

   
   
   
   
   
   

St Paul (Former), Dollis Hill Lane, Dollis Hill (now Maharashta Mandal London)

Like the nearby Roman Catholic church this building is high above the road. It was built in 1939 by N.F. Cachemaille-Day but was made redundant and from 1989 became a Hindu cultural centre. Since redundancy it has lost its east window.

       
 
   
   
 

St Mary and St Andrew, Dollis Hill Lane, Dollis Hill (Roman Catholic)

High up on the ridge above Gladstone Park, this is a church of 1932 by Bedingfield & Grundy. The steep side means that the church is above halls built below.

       
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
 

St Catherine, Dudden Hill Lane, Neasden

On a busy roundabout opposite the Grange Museum, it is a church of 1916 by J.S. Alder with the western bay and porch added in 1954 by E.B. Glanfield.