Home » Articles posted by zoothorn (Page 39)

Author Archives: zoothorn

Architects & Places

Make the Pictures Bigger

Click on any picture to enlarge it.
Use the browser back button to return to the post.

Holy Cross, Ashington Road, Fulham (Roman Catholic)

Rather hidden away in a suburban street north of the Hurlingham Club this is a church of 1924 by T.H.B. Scott and Benedict Williamson, with a western bay and front added by T.G.B. Scott in 1955-56.

   
 

St Eheldreda, Fulham Palace Road, Fulham

Towards the southern end of Fulham Palace Road. It dates from 1955-58 and is by Guy Biscoe, replacing a church of 1896-97.

 

St Clement, Fulham Palace Road, Fulham

Towards the northern end of Fulham Place Road this small church and adjacent flats replaced a Blomfield church of 1885. The architect was Michael Biscoe and it was built in 1975-76

   
 

St Luke, Uxbridge Road, Shepherds Bush

A small church of 1976-78 by A.J. Monk of Hutchison, Locke and Monk. It replaced a  church of 1871.

   
   
 

St Katherine, Westway, East Acton

Side on to the busy Westway, this ia a church of 1958-59 by J.R. Atkinson, using the foundations if the previous church, by the architect’s father, that wa was destroyed in WW2.

 
   
   
   
 

St Nicholas Cathedral, Godolphin Road, Shepherds Bush (Greek Orthodox)

Built as St Thomas Church of England and designed by Arthur Blomfield in 1882, the chancel was added in 1887. It became a Greek Orthodox church in 1965.

             
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
           
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
 

Holy Ghost and St Stephen, Ashchurch Grove, Shepherds Bush (Roman Catholic)

Built in 1904 to designs by Scoles and Raymond.

        
   
   
   
   
   
   

St Mary (former), Stamford Brook Road, Hammersmith

Built in 1886 and designed by Charles J. Gladman. It was converted into housing in 1986.

 
   
   
   
 

St Andrew Bobola, Leysfield Road, Hammersmith (Roman Catholic)

This is a Polish Roman Catholic church that began life in 1870 as a Presbyterian church designed by Edmund Woodthorpe. It was adapted to Roman Catholic use in 1961 by Alexander P. Klecki with the addition then and subsequently of much stained glass, a north aisle and chapels and many memorials and striking Stations of the Cross.

 
   
   
   
   
   
            
   
   
   
   
   
        
   
   
   

St John the Evangelist, Glenthorne Road, Hammersmith

A short way north of the town centre and now in grounds of Godolphyn and Latimer School. The church is still consecrated but not in public use. It was designed by William Butterfield and built in 1857-59.