Home » Articles posted by zoothorn (Page 67)

Author Archives: zoothorn

Architects & Places

Make the Pictures Bigger

Click on any picture to enlarge it.
Use the browser back button to return to the post.

Holy Trinity, Castelnau, Barnes

Near the south end of Hammersmith Bridge. it was designed by Thomas Allom and built in 1868.

               barnes_holy_trinity121016_1  barnes_holy_trinity121016_5
 barnes_holy_trinity121016_4  barnes_holy_trinity121016_2
 barnes_holy_trinity121016_21  barnes_holy_trinity121016_26
 barnes_holy_trinity121016_10  barnes_holy_trinity121016_19
 barnes_holy_trinity121016_11  barnes_holy_trinity121016_18
 barnes_holy_trinity121016_20  barnes_holy_trinity121016_25
 barnes_holy_trinity121016_27  barnes_holy_trinity121016_8
 barnes_holy_trinity121016_7  barnes_holy_trinity121016_23

St Aloysius, Phoenix Road, Somers Town (Roman Catholic)

Round the corner from Euston Station, this is a church of 1966-67 by John Newton of Burles, Newton & Partners. It replaced a church of 1808 damaged in WW2.

euston_st_aloysius_rc300916_35  euston_st_aloysius_rc300916_34
 euston_st_aloysius_rc300916_33  euston_st_aloysius_rc300916_
 euston_st_aloysius_rc300916_1  euston_st_aloysius_rc300916_3
 euston_st_aloysius_rc300916_4  euston_st_aloysius_rc300916_5
 euston_st_aloysius_rc300916_6  euston_st_aloysius_rc300916_15
 euston_st_aloysius_rc300916_13  euston_st_aloysius_rc300916_12
 euston_st_aloysius_rc300916_11  euston_st_aloysius_rc300916_10
 euston_st_aloysius_rc300916_7  euston_st_aloysius_rc300916_9
 euston_st_aloysius_rc300916_8  euston_st_aloysius_rc300916_27
 euston_st_aloysius_rc300916_17  euston_st_aloysius_rc300916_28
 euston_st_aloysius_rc300916_20  euston_st_aloysius_rc300916_21
 euston_st_aloysius_rc300916_22  euston_st_aloysius_rc300916_18
 euston_st_aloysius_rc300916_23  euston_st_aloysius_rc300916_24
 euston_st_aloysius_rc300916_32

St Paul, Lorrimore Square, Newington

The church for the Brandon Estate. It replaced achurch destroyed by bombing in 1941. Designed by Woodroffe Buchanan and Coulter, it was built in 1955-60 with the church at first floor level and rooms beneath. There is a hidden Lady Chapel at the east end.

kennington_st_paul150916_42 kennington_st_paul150916_41
 kennington_st_paul150916_2  kennington_st_paul150916_
 kennington_st_paul150916_3  kennington_st_paul150916_6
 kennington_st_paul150916_9  kennington_st_paul150916_7
 kennington_st_paul150916_12  kennington_st_paul150916_15
 kennington_st_paul150916_17  kennington_st_paul150916_18
 kennington_st_paul150916_26  kennington_st_paul150916_36
 kennington_st_paul150916_34  kennington_st_paul150916_29
 kennington_st_paul150916_32  kennington_st_paul150916_30
 kennington_st_paul150916_40  kennington_st_paul150916_39
 kennington_st_paul150916_33  kennington_st_paul150916_27
 kennington_st_paul150916_19  kennington_st_paul150916_25
 kennington_st_paul150916_22

Garrison Church of St George, Grand Depot Road, Woolwich

Now a stabilised ruin. It lies across the road from the main garrison buildings. It was built in 1863 by T.H. Wyatt, but gutted in WW2. The east end is now protected by a tensile roof erected in 2015 to preserve the fabric and the  mosaics.

woolwich_royal_arsenal_chapel150916_40  woolwich_royal_arsenal_chapel150916_39
 woolwich_royal_arsenal_chapel150916_35  woolwich_royal_arsenal_chapel150916_24
 woolwich_royal_arsenal_chapel150916_2  woolwich_royal_arsenal_chapel150916_
 woolwich_royal_arsenal_chapel150916_5  woolwich_royal_arsenal_chapel150916_3
 woolwich_royal_arsenal_chapel150916_33  woolwich_royal_arsenal_chapel150916_23
 woolwich_royal_arsenal_chapel150916_7  woolwich_royal_arsenal_chapel150916_12
 woolwich_royal_arsenal_chapel150916_13  woolwich_royal_arsenal_chapel150916_15
 woolwich_royal_arsenal_chapel150916_18  woolwich_royal_arsenal_chapel150916_36
 woolwich_royal_arsenal_chapel150916_29  woolwich_royal_arsenal_chapel150916_21
 woolwich_royal_arsenal_chapel150916_19  woolwich_royal_arsenal_chapel150916_22
 woolwich_royal_arsenal_chapel150916_30

Royal Foundation of St Katherine, Butcher Row, Ratcliffe

Originally a religious community founded in 1147, it has had several homes, including the building that is now St Katherine’s Danish church by Regent’s Park. It moved to this site, the bombed site of St James, Ratcliffe, after WW2. R.E. Enthoven designed new buildings including a chapel in 1950-52. The chapel was refurbished in 2003-2004 by PRP Architects. The refurbishment included enlarged windows and a new window at the east end. The furnishings are a mixture of new and medieval ones brought from previous chapels.

limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_49 limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_
 limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_38  limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_5
 limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_13  limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_15
 limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_16  limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_19
 limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_4  limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_23
 limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_18  limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_35
 limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_36  limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_37
 limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_39  limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_43
 limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_48  limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_1
 limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_22  limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_24
 limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_45  limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_41
 limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_32  limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_11
 limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_12  limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_29
 limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_34  limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_31
 limehouse_st_katherine_foundation150916_33

St George’s German Lutheran Church, Alie Street, Whitechapel

Built in 1762-63 and attributed to Joel Johnson. Since 1998 it has been cared for by the Historic Chapels Trust. It retains most of its 18th century furnishings

whitechapel_gerrman_lutheran150916_35 whitechapel_gerrman_lutheran150916_31
 whitechapel_gerrman_lutheran150916_33  whitechapel_gerrman_lutheran150916_9
 whitechapel_gerrman_lutheran150916_28  whitechapel_gerrman_lutheran150916_19
 whitechapel_gerrman_lutheran150916_11  whitechapel_gerrman_lutheran150916_8
 whitechapel_gerrman_lutheran150916_18  whitechapel_gerrman_lutheran150916_21
 whitechapel_gerrman_lutheran150916_22  whitechapel_gerrman_lutheran150916_26
 whitechapel_gerrman_lutheran150916_30  whitechapel_gerrman_lutheran150916_27
 whitechapel_gerrman_lutheran150916_23  whitechapel_gerrman_lutheran150916_20
 whitechapel_gerrman_lutheran150916_5  whitechapel_gerrman_lutheran150916_6
 whitechapel_gerrman_lutheran150916_14  whitechapel_gerrman_lutheran150916_15
 whitechapel_gerrman_lutheran150916_16

Holy Trinity, Sloane Square, Chelsea

“The Cathedral of the Arts and Crafts Movement”. Built 1888-90 by J.D. Sedding. WW2 bombing meant that the vault of 1959 by Michael Farey is plaster.The huge east window is by Morris & Co with figures designed by Burne Jones and backgrounds by Morris.

                                        chelsea_holy_trinity_sloane_square020616_77  chelsea_holy_trinity_sloane_square020616_74
 chelsea_holy_trinity_sloane_square020616_76  chelsea_holy_trinity_sloane_square020616_72
 chelsea_holy_trinity_sloane_square020616_73  chelsea_holy_trinity_sloane_square020616_5
 chelsea_holy_trinity_sloane_square020616_  chelsea_holy_trinity_sloane_square020616_68
 chelsea_holy_trinity_sloane_square020616_2  chelsea_holy_trinity_sloane_square020616_30
 chelsea_holy_trinity_sloane_square020616_12  chelsea_holy_trinity_sloane_square020616_67
 chelsea_holy_trinity_sloane_square020616_13  chelsea_holy_trinity_sloane_square020616_8
 chelsea_holy_trinity_sloane_square020616_62  chelsea_holy_trinity_sloane_square020616_9
 chelsea_holy_trinity_sloane_square020616_36  chelsea_holy_trinity_sloane_square020616_38
 chelsea_holy_trinity_sloane_square020616_4  chelsea_holy_trinity_sloane_square020616_35
 chelsea_holy_trinity_sloane_square020616_11  chelsea_holy_trinity_sloane_square020616_14
 chelsea_holy_trinity_sloane_square020616_15  chelsea_holy_trinity_sloane_square020616_27
 chelsea_holy_trinity_sloane_square020616_46  chelsea_holy_trinity_sloane_square020616_33
 chelsea_holy_trinity_sloane_square020616_40  chelsea_holy_trinity_sloane_square020616_41
 chelsea_holy_trinity_sloane_square020616_25  chelsea_holy_trinity_sloane_square020616_24
 chelsea_holy_trinity_sloane_square020616_17  chelsea_holy_trinity_sloane_square020616_16
 chelsea_holy_trinity_sloane_square020616_55  chelsea_holy_trinity_sloane_square020616_64
 chelsea_holy_trinity_sloane_square020616_59  chelsea_holy_trinity_sloane_square020616_28
 chelsea_holy_trinity_sloane_square020616_29  chelsea_holy_trinity_sloane_square020616_31
 chelsea_holy_trinity_sloane_square020616_34  chelsea_holy_trinity_sloane_square020616_39

St John, Kings Road, Chelsea

Up steep steps above some shops, this is a church of 1973 by Henry Cadbury Brown & Partners.

chelsea_st_john020616_  chelsea_st_john020616_1
 chelsea_st_john020616_2  chelsea_st_john020616_8
 chelsea_st_john020616_6  chelsea_st_john020616_5
 chelsea_st_john020616_3

Our Lady of Dolours, Fulham Road (Roman catholic)

The tower is all that can be seen from Fulham Road, this fronts a long passage of 1880 that leads to a narthex of 1894 by C.A. Hansom that was added to the church of 1874-86 by J.A. Hansom.

         chelsea_our_lady_of_dolours_rc020616_11 chelsea_our_lady_of_dolours_rc020616_10
 chelsea_our_lady_of_dolours_rc020616_8  chelsea_our_lady_of_dolours_rc020616_9
 chelsea_our_lady_of_dolours_rc020616_1  chelsea_our_lady_of_dolours_rc020616_7
 chelsea_our_lady_of_dolours_rc020616_6  chelsea_our_lady_of_dolours_rc020616_5
 chelsea_our_lady_of_dolours_rc020616_3  chelsea_our_lady_of_dolours_rc020616_4
 chelsea_our_lady_of_dolours_rc020616_2

St Francis, Pottery Lane, Notting Dale (Roman Catholic)

1859-60 by Henry Clutton as a complex of church, schools and presbytery for the oblates of St Charles. J.F. Bentley, in his first work, added the angled Lady Chapel, baptistery and porch in 1861-63

north_kensington_st_francis_pottery_lane_rc020616_36  north_kensington_st_francis_pottery_lane_rc020616_35
 north_kensington_st_francis_pottery_lane_rc020616_32 north_kensington_st_francis_pottery_lane_rc020616_34
 north_kensington_st_francis_pottery_lane_rc020616_  north_kensington_st_francis_pottery_lane_rc020616_31
 north_kensington_st_francis_pottery_lane_rc020616_28  north_kensington_st_francis_pottery_lane_rc020616_17
 north_kensington_st_francis_pottery_lane_rc020616_13  north_kensington_st_francis_pottery_lane_rc020616_12
 north_kensington_st_francis_pottery_lane_rc020616_6  north_kensington_st_francis_pottery_lane_rc020616_4
 north_kensington_st_francis_pottery_lane_rc020616_7  north_kensington_st_francis_pottery_lane_rc020616_5
 north_kensington_st_francis_pottery_lane_rc020616_1  north_kensington_st_francis_pottery_lane_rc020616_24
 north_kensington_st_francis_pottery_lane_rc020616_16  north_kensington_st_francis_pottery_lane_rc020616_11
 north_kensington_st_francis_pottery_lane_rc020616_14  north_kensington_st_francis_pottery_lane_rc020616_8
 north_kensington_st_francis_pottery_lane_rc020616_20  north_kensington_st_francis_pottery_lane_rc020616_18
 north_kensington_st_francis_pottery_lane_rc020616_3  north_kensington_st_francis_pottery_lane_rc020616_24
 north_kensington_st_francis_pottery_lane_rc020616_26
 north_kensington_st_francis_pottery_lane_rc020616_29  north_kensington_st_francis_pottery_lane_rc020616_27