Home » Barry, Charles
Category Archives: Barry, Charles
Built as the chapel of the College of God’s Gift for the actor Edward Alleyn in 1613-1616. It was designed by John Benson. As well as serving as a chapel for the Alleyn Foundation Schools and almshouses it has long held public services. The south aisle and gallery were added in 1823 by George Tappen. Many of the current furnishings were added by Joseph Clarke from 1850. The reredos is by W.D. Caroe from 1912. The font is by James Gibbs and dates from 1729. The tower was rebuilt in 1866 by Charles Barry. The chapel was re-ordered in 1976 with the screen lowered.
Built by Charles Barry 1826-29. The interior was much changed and not in a great state of repair while under lease to the Celestial Church of Christ. The lower exterior pictures are from September 2015 and the interiors from October 2016 while repair work was going on. The poor condition of the building led the Church of England to repossess the lease on the church in November 2017 and they are now seeking funding to carry out repairs. The first three images show its state in September 2022.