Home » Bermondsey (Page 2)
Category Archives: Bermondsey
Forming part of the boundary of Southwark Park in an area of much more recent housing. It was designed by Sir John William Simpson and Maxwell Ayrton and built in 1911. It has been redundant since about 1950 and was converted into art studios in the 1960s but is now run by a community arts charity called CGP. It was renovated in 2010 by Walter Menteth Ltd.
At the base of a small block of flats, not far from St George the Martyr. The church is entered through a hall area and has several 19th-century Clayton and Bell windows from the previous building now mounted at ground level inside both the church and hall, those in the church face inwards, those in the hall outwards. The original St Hugh was in the basement of the Charterhouse-in-Southwark Mission Settlement and was built in 1896 but it was demolished in 2011. The new church is at street level and was opened in 2013.
This is the historic parish church of Bermondsey and the lower part of the tower is still medieval. It is mostly is a rebuilding by Charles Stanton of 1675-1679. However, its external appearance is due to a stucco coating and a very un-archaeological gothic west front added in 1830 by George Porter.