Home » Caroe and Partners

Category Archives: Caroe and Partners

Architects & Places

Make the Pictures Bigger

Click on any picture to enlarge it.
Use the browser back button to return to the post.

St Edward, Cleves Avenue, New Addington

Side on to the road just south of the main shopping area of the estate. The church dates from 1957-58 and is by Caroe and Partners.

St Mary, Hendon Lane, Finchley

At the southern end of Finchley town centre in the area called Church End. Set back from the road, this is a 15th century church at heart. However there is a small amount of evidence of a Norman building, the 19th century saw Newman and Billing add a south aisle, north aisle clerestory and rebuilt arcade in 1872. The next century saw Charles Nicholson add the outer south aisle in 1932. The chancel was badly damaged in WW2 and was rebuilt and extended by Caroe and Partners.

   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   

The Ascension, Sherwood Park Road, Pollards Hill, Mitcham

A suburban church of 1951-53 designed by Caroe and Partners.

pollards_hill_ascension290115_ pollards_hill_ascension290115_2
 pollards_hill_ascension290115_3  pollards_hill_ascension290115_5
 pollards_hill_ascension290115_6  pollards_hill_ascension290115_4

All Hallows, Devons Road, Bow

A church of 1873-74 by Ewan Christian, badly damaged in WW2 and rebuilt 1954-55 by A.P. Robinson of Caroe and Partners

bow_all_hallows071113_ bow_all_hallows071113_3
 bow_all_hallows071113_1  bow_all_hallows071113_2

St John the Evangelist, Upper Norwood

This is one of John Loughborough Pearson’s major large brick built churches and dates from 1878-87. There are inner and outer aisles, together with an apsed Lady Chapel. The south transept was meant to be the base of a large tower that has never been completed. Although there has been considerable structural work done in 2016-2017, serous sunsidence means that the south side of the nave has to be propped by large wooden buttresses.It was damaged in WW2 and restored by Caroe and Partners in 1946-51. Much of the glass by Clayton and Bell was lost at that time. Some has been replaced by 1950s windows by Francis Spear. Some older glass by Kempe and Comper survives.