Home » Chislehurst
Category Archives: Chislehurst
Set in a spacious churchyard in the old village. It is a 15th century church, enlarged several times in the 19th century. Benjamin Ferrey rebuilt the chancel in 1849 and Bodley and Garner lengthened it in 1896, adding the organ case and reredos. The south aisle is also by Ferrey and the spire was rebuilt taller in 1857 by Wollaston.
At the southern edge of the old village of Chislehurst and unusually for a Roman catholic church it sits in a burial ground. The architect was William Wardell and the church dates from 1854. The mortuary chapel on the south side was added by Henry Clutton in 1874 to house the body of Napoleon III, however he was interred in the crypt at Farnborough Abbey in Hampshire.
Set on a hillside in a leafy churchyard not too far from the station. This is a church of 1871-72 by Habershon and Pite. Originally the tower was at the west end of the nave but a few years after completion it was taken down, the nave extended a few feet westwards and the tower added to the south-west corner. There is a complex of halls and offices added over various dates on the north side.