Home » Chiswick

Category Archives: Chiswick

Architects & Places

Make the Pictures Bigger

Click on any picture to enlarge it.
Use the browser back button to return to the post.

St Nicholas, Church Street, Chiswick

The old parish church of Chiswick, very close to the Thames and a kilometre south of the modern town centre and the busy Great South West Road. It sits at one end of a large churchyard. The west tower is 15th century but the rest of the church was rebuilt by J.L. Pearson in 1882-84. The chancel includes three windows by William Burges from an incomplete rebuilding of 1861.

           
   
   
   
   
   
      

St Michael, Elmwood Road, Chiswick

A suburban church just south of the busy Great West Road. It is by W.D. Caroe and dates from 1908-09

 
   
   
   
   
   

St Joseph, Bolton Road, Grove Park, Chiswick (Roman Catholic)

Replacing a house used for worship, which became the presbytery, this is a church of 1959-60 by Donald Plaskett Marshall. An entrance area was added in the 199os by Eckhard Weisner

             
   
   
   
   
   
   

St Paul, Grove Park Road, Chiswick

Grove Park is a Victorian suburb south of Chiswick railway station.  This church was designed by H. Currey and built in 1872. The apse stained glass is by M.E. Aldrich Rope.

   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
 

St Michael and All Angels, Bath Road, Bedford Park, Chiswick

Bedford Park is an early garden suburb and this church dating from 1879-80 is one of its landmark buildings. The architect was Richard Norman Shaw. In 1887 a matching hall and north aisle were added by Maurice Adams.

 
   
   
   
   
   
   
    
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
 

Our Lady of Grace and St Edward, Chiswick High Road, Chiswick (Roman Catholic)

In the middle of the town centre, a large very red building of 1904 by Kelly and Birchall. The tower was added by Giles Gilbert Scott in 1930.

 
 
   
   
   
   
   
   
   

Christ Church, Turnham Green, Chiswick

Set in the middle of Turnham Green a little way off the main road, this is an early Gilbert Scott building, in fact by Scott and Moffatt and dating from 1841-43.  A longer chancel was added by James Brooks in 1887. The nave interior has been divided in two with only the chancel retaining older furnishings.