Home » Crayford

Category Archives: Crayford

Architects & Places

Make the Pictures Bigger

Click on any picture to enlarge it.
Use the browser back button to return to the post.

St Mary of the Crays, Old Road, Crayford (Roman Catholic)

Almost opposite St Paulinus this church was built in 1972-73 to designs by W. Brian Mead replacing a church of 1842, demolished in 1974. The organ, some stained glass and altar rails were retained from the old church.

crayford_st_mary_of_the_crays090114_ crayford_st_mary_of_the_crays090114_2
 crayford_st_mary_of_the_crays090114_11  crayford_st_mary_of_the_crays090114_14
 crayford_st_mary_of_the_crays090114_4  crayford_st_mary_of_the_crays090114_9
 crayford_st_mary_of_the_crays090114_6  crayford_st_mary_of_the_crays090114_5
 crayford_st_mary_of_the_crays090114_13  crayford_st_mary_of_the_crays090114_3
 crayford_st_mary_of_the_crays090114_7

St Paulinus, Crayford

High on a ridge above the town centre and visible from a long way off. The interior is unusual as it is a double naved church with a chancel lined up 50/50 with each nave so the arcade dies into the apex of the chancel arch. The building is Norman with much 15th century enlargement and a restoration of 1862 by J.Clarke.The stained glass is mainly of 1953-55 by Hugh Easton.

        crayford_st_paulinus090114_31  crayford_st_paulinus090114_36
 crayford_st_paulinus090114_23  crayford_st_paulinus090114_9
 crayford_st_paulinus090114_12  crayford_st_paulinus090114_19
 crayford_st_paulinus090114_4  crayford_st_paulinus090114_5
 crayford_st_paulinus090114_10  crayford_st_paulinus090114_24
 crayford_st_paulinus090114_11  crayford_st_paulinus090114_8