Home » Croydon (Page 2)
Category Archives: Croydon
Croydon parish church, but in a backwater away from the main shopping area. The old church was destroyed by fire in 1867. The current church is a rebuild with an eastward extension, by George Gilbert Scott in 1870. All that remains from the old church is the south porch and the tower, apart from the pinnacles which were added by Scott. The former palace of the Archbishops of Canterbury is at the east end of the churchyard and several of them are commemorated in the church.