Home » Gibbons, J. Harold
Category Archives: Gibbons, J. Harold
Ascension, The Avenue, Preston Road
One of the last churches of J. Harold Gibbons being built in 1957. The interior features a Hans Feibusch painting behind the altar. The wooden “serving hatch” doors at the west end can be opened to allow the narthex to be used if there is a high attendance at a service. The hall to one side served as the church from 1937.
St Francis of Assisi, Fleetwood Road, Dollis Hill (now Roman Catholic)
St Peter and St Paul, Church Road, Bromley
At the north end of the town centre and like St Mark at the south end, destroyed but for its tower by 1941 bombing. The tower is medieval and the current church is by J. Harold Gibbons and dates from 1948-57. The apsidal children’s chapel is attached to the east of the tower and the main body of the church is to its south.
St Augustine of Canterbury, Hospital Bridge Road, Whitton
St Mary, Kenton Road/St Leonards Avenue, Kenton
St Cuthbert, Philbeach Gardens, Earls Court
At the apex of a Crescent near Earls Court Station. This is a centre of Anglo-Catholicism built in 1884-88 by H. Roumieu Gough. The interior has many arts and crafts fittings (e.g. lectern, altar rails, clock, royal arms) of 1897-1910 by W. Bainbridge Reynolds, together with a huge reredos of 1913-14 by Gilbert Boulton to designs by Ernest Geldart. The Lady Chapel has post-WW2 glass by Hugh Easton. Much of the interior wall decoration in the church was undertaken by members of Guilds founded by the church. The stained glass in the nave and clerestory is largely by C.E, Tute, that in the Baptistry by Kempe. The Stations of the Cross were painted by Franz Vinck in 1888. The Lady Chapel reredos, pulpit sounding board and an external Calvary were designed by J. Harold Gibbons. As there is so much to see the images are organised in a number of galleries.
Exterior and General Interior Views
Nave Decoration and Clerestory Statues
Nave and Clerestory Stained Glass
Fittings and Furnishings
Stations of the Cross
St Barnabas, Raglan Way, Northolt Park
St Jerome, Judge Heath Lane, West Hayes (Dawley)
North west of Hayes a church of 1933 by J. Harold Gibbons. The tower forms an arch linking the church and its halls.