Home » Greenwich

Category Archives: Greenwich

Architects & Places

Make the Pictures Bigger

Click on any picture to enlarge it.
Use the browser back button to return to the post.

Holy Trinity, 2nd Floor, Aperture Building, Chandlers Avenue, Greenwich Peninsula

The church serving the large area of housing being developed just to the south of the O2 arena and the North Greenwich area. It is a multi-faith prayer space on the second floor of a new mixed-use community building. There are no specifically Christian symbols on display for this reason. Before being here it was in temporary buildings to the north nearer the station. It was designed by DSDHA and built in 2017.

Chapel, Royal Naval Hospital, Greenwich

Part of the Queen Mary block of the hospital, it is a major work planned by Christopher Wren but construction was delayed and dates from 1735-1743. The chapel is entered up a high curved staircase from an entrance area that contains most of the monuments in the chapel. The interior was severely fire damaged and rebuilt by James Stuart in 1779-1789 in his Greek style.

Our Ladye Star of the Sea, Crooms Hill, Greenwich (Roman Catholic)

Facing the western side of Greenwich Park. It is a church of 1851 by William Wardell. The chancel decoration is by A.W.N. Pugin.

Christ Church, Trafalgar Road, East Greenwich

The original church is by 1846-1848 by John Brown and Robert Kerr. That building lost its chancel when a new church building was added in 1989. The old church is now a Community centre with halls, offices and a cafe inserted on three floors. The new church has a gallery and a small chapel behind the gallery on the first floor of the building. A few windows and some of the ceiling are all that is visible of the old church inside.

St Paul (Former), Deevonshire Drive, Greenwich (now 7th Day Adventist)

South of Greenwich town centre, this is an incomplete church of 1865-1866 by either S.S. or W.M. Teulon. It was badly damaged in WW2 and rebuilt subsequently. It closed in 1978 and was then used by a Wesleyan group until redundancy in 1984. It was then leased to Calvary Church and a scout troop before being sold in 1991 to the Seventh-day Adventists.